FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 can't capture Offline RT Photo JPEG NTSC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Pisnieski
Kona 3 can't capture Offline RT Photo JPEG NTSC
on Jun 3, 2010 at 6:59:01 pm

We've recently upgraded to the newest AJA Kona 3 control panel, version 7.5, and we have not had any success capturing the codec Offline RT Photo JPEG NTSC through FInal Cut Pro correctly. We have 35+ edit bays at our facility, all Final Cut Pro, and never once have we been so restricted with a Kona control panel. Visually, all we see when we capture Offline RT Photo JPEG NTSC is our video in the bottom right corner of screen and then the rest of the screen is green. The odd thing about this problem is that Offline RT HD Photo Jpeg works fine, it's just the standard definition codec that we're experiencing problems with.

Normally, I'd just revert to the AJA control panel version 6.5 however our Facilis Terrablock manager has had numerous problems with that control panel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Will

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 3 can't capture Offline RT Photo JPEG NTSC
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:33:06 pm

[Will Pisnieski] "Any ideas? "

Since Photo jpeg is not technically supported in the latest versions of FCP this does not really surprise me.

What did aja support say.

[Will Pisnieski] "Normally, I'd just revert to the AJA control panel version 6.5 however our Facilis Terrablock manager has had numerous problems with that control panel."

Why? I see no reason why your disk storage manager is conflicting with the Video Card Control Panel- something sounds very wrong here- these 2 things have absolutely nothing to do with the functions of the others.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Will Pisnieski
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:53:15 pm

I pressed AJA on this issue of support for offline RT Photo Jpeg NTSC for over a month, however their tech support seemed baffled by the problem and recommended that we stick with the version 6.5 drivers on the systems that still need to capture offline RT standard definition until they worked out the kinks. This was back in February and I'm still waiting for an answer. Our workaround has been to bypass the Kona control panel altogether when capturing offline RT and create a custom capture preset that allows us to capture offline RT photo jpeg via firewire 400. We also still have a handful of digitizing stations that have the older control panel installed on them as well.

As for the disk storage manager and the Kona control panel, you're absolutely correct they should have absolutely nothing to do with each other, however we've experienced numerous drop frame errors when both the Terrablock manager was running along with the Kona v6.5 control panel. Unfortunately the disk manager has to remain running at all times on Facilis in order for the drives to update and we can't avoid accessing the Kona control panel all of the time. Facilis Terrablock is aware of the problem however they've been unable to find a solution and were waiting to see if AJA came back with any solutions.

This is not the first time we've come across AJA control panel problems but normally our our issues are hardware related such as the Kona cards will on a regular basis freeze up our Harris DL-860 color legalizer when a connection is made between the edit bay and the legalizer through a patch panel. Once again, this is another problem that AJA is aware of however they stand by the notion that the problem is a Harris issue and Harris says it's an AJA issue. We as the client are just stuck in the middle trying to get something to work.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 4, 2010 at 12:43:37 am

"This was back in February and I'm still waiting for an answer."

Did you bother to follow up?
I would not be waiting 3 months and i think 3 driver builds to get an answer.

"Our workaround has been to bypass the Kona control panel altogether when capturing offline RT and create a custom capture preset that allows us to capture offline RT photo jpeg via firewire 400."

EH- this makes absolutely no sense to me- the Kona Control ONLY handles input, output and conversion- there are no codecs anywhere in the Kona Control panel that I have ever seen and I have been working with Kona's for 10 years.

"his is not the first time we've come across AJA control panel problems but normally our our issues are hardware related such as the Kona cards will on a regular basis freeze up our Harris DL-860 color legalizer when a connection is made between the edit bay and the legalizer through a patch panel."

I ran across the Harris problem over a year ago- to be for everyone else reading this- the Kona is not talking directly to the Harris legalizer-
We are talking about the HDSDI video signal from the Kona Cards often includes some SMPTE RP188 and other metadata as part of the spec that the Legalizer does not understand and there for chokes on.

The signal I was working with was fully in spec according to the Leader and Tektronics scopes and test equipment yet the Harris was still choking on it the signal- the second I switched to a file that did not contain any ancillary (Meta) data- the Harris problem was fixed and we kept working.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Will Pisnieski
on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:09:51 am

I worked with Rudy from AJA support for several weeks on this issue only to end up back at square one. We tried various tests that AJA recommended such as capturing directly to our computer's internal drive, trying other codecs, frame sizes etc. Ultimately I gave up on getting a solution from them.

I wasn't referring to codecs inside the Kona control panel rather we created a custom codec in the Final Cut Pro software and captured footage via firewire NOT HDSDI from a Panasonic 1400 deck. This is how we were able to capture HD footage into our server at offline RT Photo Jpeg NTSC correctly. Basically we can't accomplish this feat using a Kona card.

I've spoken to Harris tech support on multiple occasions and your solution is the first I've ever heard. I'll give that a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]