FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red 2k to HD tape

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Barone
Red 2k to HD tape
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:04:01 am

Okay, so you've got your final, color corrected Kona RGB 2k (2048 x 1024) show in your final cut timeline and you want to put it down to tape. I know we that have this lovely crop feature on our kona 3 cards (and it is great), but that still leaves us with this slight letterbox, right? Or am I missing something?

How are people putting their 2048 x 1024 timelines to tape? I can't believe that we're putting down shows with letterboxes, so can the Kona card scale the output to fit all 1080 lines? Or is there some other solution? What are people doing about this? You can't deliver a tape to a network with this strange crop on it, somebody must have come up with a solution by now (and I understand and appreciate the fact that I could have cropped and resized the footage before doing color correction, but I think we're too far down the path for that now)?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Red 2k to HD tape
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:49:35 pm

If you shot 2:1 you will have a slight letterbox top and bottom as you are fitting the width of the shot into a 16:9 frame, if you edge crop to fit the height of the 16x9 frame you will cut off some of the sides but will be full 16:9 frame.
You can deliver with the 2:1 fit width to 16:9 to a network if they take HDCam or appropriate files.
typical SD downconverts letterbox have a larger letterbox than normal full 16:9. It's almost a hallmark of the shot on red music video stuff.
we finish in Scratch and are able to manipulate framing so that whatever is required (desired) can occur but most of it is 2:1 acquisition fit width to 16:9 frame and thus the narrow letterbox in HD.
curiously anyone shooting 4.5 K at 2.4:1 and fitting width all the way through to SD end up with the equivalent of a strip of gaff tape with active picture in a huge black field.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 3, 2010 at 4:17:53 pm

[Doug Beal] "end up with the equivalent of a strip of gaff tape with active picture in a huge black field. "

But some might call that art. ;)

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:59:32 pm

It was Art
Obviously you know him!!

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index