FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI pioneer dvd playout through AJA LHi card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ethan Koehler
HDMI pioneer dvd playout through AJA LHi card
on May 28, 2010 at 1:25:22 am

(I haven't posted here much, however the last problem we were troubleshooting regarding our 09 model intel xServes, recording to a isilon cluster with AJA Kona LHi cards, is now working great! (our issue was permissions).)

What I am trying to accomplish:

Playing out a 1080p Pioneer Bluray dvd deck through the HDMI in of the AJA LHi 1ru breakout panel. From the card, I want to down convert from 1080p to 1080i 29.97 out of the card's SDI output, syncing with an SDI ltc input, to the ref in port. (this may all be a bad idea, however I am getting a picture currently.)

The idea is, we have 4 xServes with LHi cards, 3 of which run as ingest servers, 1 runs as either a ingest or playout using AJA Tv. I want to use the existing connections on the 4th xServe, to playout the video of a dvd deck when nature calls (random speaker brings in a dvd and wants it played out on our webstream. I know this is impractical and silly but it really happens a lot and isn't something we can avoid very easily for reasons).

Where I am at now:

I get picture on our Avitech multiview, when I am running AJA VTR xChange. AJA Control panel does get the video, and I select 'ref in' as my gen lock and I still see ltc timecode in VTR xChange as per a normal recording. The only reason I am using VTR xChange is I don't get any engagement with the card when running AJA Tv. This just happens to engage the video and it shows up on our avitechs. This may be completely wrong and choppy if it were syncing; I am not sure yet. As I can't get sync into this consumer grade deck (149 @ microcenter) I am trying to leave it in sync with the ref in I typically playout with, which works great, with AJA Tv. When I select AJA VTR xChange the genlock in AJA Control panel changes to HDMI In, I preview my pioneer's video, and my sync goes and the video is split horizontally.

If you all have better suggestions for doing this in the software, or with another program,with this card on the xServe, that would be awesome. I'm unsure if this just isn't something the card is capable of or I am simply telling it the wrong thing. I don't see why it cannot down convert and spit the image out as a playout... It is showing up correctly in our 'lower previews' on our avitechs, but as soon as it is engaged into the preview bus, it goes hay wire as the sync is not selected.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HDMI pioneer dvd playout through AJA LHi card
on May 28, 2010 at 2:35:59 am

Have you tried freerun just to see? You are trying to sync two sources that can't sync.

Return to posts index

Ethan Koehler
on May 28, 2010 at 3:15:35 am

i have but I will check it again tomorrow. I think the issue is where the software while on hdmi input, selecting vtr xchange, sets the timecode to hdmi in, but I'll have to see if freerun helps.

I remember in the past, if we played a video out, from the same xServe, and it was on freerun our sync would spaz and the switcher would get a horizontally cut picture. ie bottom part shows up at the top etc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2010 at 3:31:23 am

[Ethan Koehler] "sets the timecode to hdmi in"

There is no tc over HDMI.

Return to posts index

Ethan Koehler
on May 28, 2010 at 3:33:01 am

correct. That's just what the text reads in AJA Control panel for gen lock when I select VTR xChange.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2010 at 3:34:45 am

Also, 1080p to 1080i is not a downconvert.

Can you please expalin what you are trying to again? I'm not exactly following what all your connections are and what you need from them.

Return to posts index

Ethan Koehler
on May 28, 2010 at 3:43:57 am

End goal:

HD DVD playout to a Ross Synergy 2 MLE Multi Def switcher. It's output is set at 1080i 29.97. Idea is to make use of the cross conversion the LHi can do for us, instead of using up another of our AJA HDMI to sdi converters, and add no more wiring, by utilizing our current playout mac xServe w/ aja kona card.

How we typically playout a hd video:

Via a Isilon IQ NFS share, we playout using AJA Tv, to a AJA Kona LHi card, in a intel xServe. This is hooked up to the Ross Synergy switcher, via sdi, at 1080i 29.97. We use DVCPro HD 1080i. The card is synced via a ltc through the rs-422 input, which is fed by sdi to rs-422 converters. We have ltc coming in to the ref in over sdi fed from a averts gps timecode clock. This all works day to day.

What I would like to do:

Connect a Pioneer Bluray dvd deck (max res is 1080p can do 1080i, 720, 480, outputs are HDMI out/composite/component.) to the AJA rack breakout, in through it's HDMI in, use the card/software to cross-convert (my mistake on saying down convert earlier) to 1080i 29.97, and playout to our Ross as we normally would play a video, off of our Isilon storage.

I tend to over explain, hopefully this is helping you get a idea of what I'm doing/tried/going for. thanks for your time and thoughts!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2010 at 4:34:15 am

OK, what I think is confusing me you are saying cross convert when really what you want to do is convert HDMI to SDI. That is not a cross conversion.

Make sure the BluRay or whatever player is putting psf or 1080i, put the card in input passthrough (control tab) and you should get video out of your SDI, effectively using your Kona as a big mini-converter.

[Ethan Koehler] "The card is synced via a ltc through the rs-422 input, which is fed by sdi to rs-422 converters. We have ltc coming in to the ref in over sdi fed from a averts gps timecode clock."

This is still pretty confusing to me. You say synced, but do you really mean fed timecode? Or do you mean the tc is synced to your master clock? Or do you mean sync as is genlock/reference?

Sounds like you have a master tc generator (from Evertz?) That goes to SDI to rs422 converter, then rs422 to Kona? You seem to explaining the path backwards.

LTC should not go to ref in, but rather LTC in. Ref in (or sync) is usually genlock.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 28, 2010 at 1:39:10 pm

[Ethan Koehler] "Connect a Pioneer Bluray dvd deck (max res is 1080p can do 1080i, 720, 480, outputs are HDMI out/composite/component.) to the AJA rack breakout, in through it's HDMI in, use the card/software to cross-convert (my mistake on saying down convert earlier) to 1080i 29.97,"

I think that there is one big issue with this workflow.
HDMI transport protocols do not deliver interlaced video or timecode.

HDMI is always a true progressive signal- in the case of interlaced materials the content is line doubled to achieve the progressive signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]