FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create DPX from HDCAM SR

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
Create DPX from HDCAM SR
on May 11, 2010 at 7:30:06 pm

I need to create 10 bit Log DPX files from an HDcam SR source (recorded at 10 bit Log from a film scan). The DPX files will be graded on a Scratch system.

Are there any problems or downsides to doing this with a Kona 3 following this workflow? And/or is this the best/correct workflow?

via Final Cut Pro, batch capture the footage using the AJA 10 bit Log RGB codec. Converting these AJA quicktimes to DPX files using the QTtoDPX Translator.

Thanks-

-Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
Re: Create DPX from HDCAM SR
on May 11, 2010 at 8:20:43 pm

or--- what about using AJA's VTRX. According to the manual I can create a batch list from Final Cut, and batch capture straight to DPX files using this app. Does anyone have experience doing this? Are there any timecode (or other) problems with this route?

thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on May 11, 2010 at 8:51:44 pm

I use AJA VTRX. Reason being that with FCP the QTs that are created have extra frames at the head and tail. Yes, it's weird, and you don't see the extra frames in FCP, but when you convert the QTs to DPX files with QTtoDPX you get the extra frames there. And when you are capturing plates for VFX those extra frames screw everything up on the count sheets.

Jay Mahavier

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 14, 2010 at 3:56:02 am

[Jay Mahavier] "when you convert the QTs to DPX files with QTtoDPX you get the extra frames"

I've only seen the extra frames in media captured from tape. What's happening is FCP may grab an extra frame or two at the head and tail. These extra frames are in the media track but trimmed out in the QT container. QTtoDPX is apparently respecting the raw media track and not the corrected QT container.

The same thing can happen when playing FCP tape captured clips in the KiPro. The KiPro should respect respect the QT container track, not the media or "essence" track... it doesn't.

John Heagy
NFL Films

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 12, 2010 at 1:35:39 pm

[Parke Gregg] "According to the manual I can create a batch list from Final Cut, and batch capture straight to DPX files using this app"

Sure do it all the time. Though there are a gothcha with regards to the XML batch list out from FCP.

VTX offers users a simple consistent way to capture or output materials without having to deal with some of the issues from FCP for real high end acquisition.

I do not have timecode issues- what issue are you asking about.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]