FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 (in camera) Downconvert vs Kona LHi Downconvert

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
EX3 (in camera) Downconvert vs Kona LHi Downconvert
on May 8, 2010 at 8:10:56 am

Just wondered about the perceived wisdom here. Got a 2 cam conference video shot on DSR450 and EX3 to go to SD DVD. Want to edit on SD timeline in FCP.

Should I downconvert using the camera and digitise into the Kona LHI via SDI, or should I come HD SDI out of the camera and let the Kona do the downconvert. Just wondered whether anyone has found one particular way that works best?

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: EX3 (in camera) Downconvert vs Kona LHi Downconvert
on May 8, 2010 at 8:05:10 pm

Hello Martin,

I work with bot the EX cam and the Kona 3 and my first inclination would be to let the Kona do the down-convert. I have never tested this work flow (down-convert on input) but this would be the first thing I would try. Try a small test (both ways) and see which one looks better, my money would be on the Kona.
One caution... I have captured HD/SDI direct from my EX camera only one time, just recently, and it was only then that I found that even though I shot 1080/24p(23.98) on my EX the HD/SDI output was 29.97! I could not find an option to output 23.98. But unless you are shooting @24 this should not be an issue for you.

I am sure once you try about 30 seconds of both work flows you will be able to make a decision on the best for your purposes.

Good Luck. Let us know what you find with your test.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 15, 2010 at 6:31:37 pm

Hi Martin, So what did you find out with the work-flow experiment?
Which works better?

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on May 18, 2010 at 8:55:23 am

Sorry - only managed to do the experiment for real yesterday. I must admit that I was pretty hard-pressed to notice the difference between either of them. They both came out staggeringly well, which I was really pleased about. When compared to the DSR450 (with J21 lens) shots I think they actually had a slight edge over them.

Admittedly this was in a conference environment, would be good to experiment with outdoor shots ...... a job for another day!

Cheers, Martin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]