FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Connect Kona 3 to Sony DVW-500 to Aja Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Perez Irizarry
How to Connect Kona 3 to Sony DVW-500 to Aja Kona 3
on May 6, 2010 at 8:58:21 pm

Hi,

We just bought a Sony DVW-500 to use with our Kona 3 and FCP. We never had a deck before, so we´re new at this.

At the moment the deck is connected via SDI to de deck. We can record audio and video but when we do playback we see a lot of artifacts and noise. We have tried different new blank tapes, different cables but the problem persist. When we play other tapes recorded with other systems, the image looks perfect so we think that is not a problem with the head of the deck.

Are we plug in it incorrectly? Right now we only have connected the SDI cable, the digital xlr for audio, and the RS-232. Do we need to connect something else. Could this be an error with the deck settings or the FCP settings?

Any help would be highly apreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: How to Connect Kona 3 to Sony DVW-500 to Aja Kona 3
on May 6, 2010 at 10:16:36 pm

I assume you have a TV monitor, and are not relying on the computer monitor.

Although you ultimately need a black generator to lock your AJA Kona 3 and your DVW-500 together, for these initial tests, simply bring up color bars in the AJA Kona 3 Control Panel, and record the SD-SDI out of the Kona into the SDI input of the DVW-500 (and do nothing else - no other connections). If you are getting artifacts, and noise, you have a problem with the upper drum assembly of your DVW-500. Since the DVW-500 is a VERY old VTR, I can only assume you purchased this used, and it probably needs maintenance from a qualified Sony tech support person (replacing the upper drum head assembly). Will this be expensive - you BET it will be expensive.

Welcome to owning professional VTR's - we all go thru this.

In the end, you will want an AJA GEN10 (don't forget the DWP power supply) to genlock your DVW-500 Ref Video input and the AJA Kona 3 Reference IN (set in the AJA Control Panel Control Tab to EXT REF).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 7, 2010 at 3:00:20 pm

Second all of the above

The other thing to try in if while you are recording the stop button is flashing, move the switch called "out ref" to input. the stop button should stop flashing and you should be recording clean signal.
you don't need AES audio to interface with this deck unless you have some workstation that only uses AES for audio. The dbeta deck will injest and output embedded audio as will the Kona3. dbeta inputs need to be on SDI in the Kona needs to be on "embedded" on the "iput" tab of the Kona control panel.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on May 7, 2010 at 4:15:56 pm

Thanks a lot for your repley. We did the test that you mention, and it worked perfectly: no artifacts. What should be the next thing to plug in? The problem seems to happen when we do Print to Tape from FCP with SDI and RS-232 pluged in. When we tried printing to tape using the analog component cable it also worked fine. What can be wrong?

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on May 7, 2010 at 4:29:42 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention. We are monitoring with a Sony LMD-2450 LCD HD broadcast monitor connected directly to de DigiBeta via SDI.

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on May 7, 2010 at 5:36:02 pm

Here is an update. I manage to record to DigiBeta via SDI with embedded audio and it looks and sounds beautiful. The problem was my ignorance on how to use Kona Control Panel. I set the primary out to downconvertion and boom it worked!. No Artifacts, just a clean downconverted image.

The problem Im having now is that I cant set the secondary out. Im trying to do a set up where one of my SDI outs is plugged to the broadcast Monitor for HD preview and the other one to DigiBeta for recording. But I dont know how to set up the secondary. Right now there´s no image coming out of it. Any ideas?

Thanks again youve been really helpfull.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on May 7, 2010 at 6:36:03 pm

Joel,
I don't care how busy you are, you MUST spend time learning the AJA Kona Control Panel. You need at least 1 hour to do nothing but play with all the functions, to get used to it.

Go to the FORMAT tab. Set PRIMARY to 1080i (if you have a HD project) and set SECONDARY to 525 (if you are working with NTSC video for your DVW-500) . Use the DIGITAL tab to select HD Out 1 (for 1080 or 525), and select HD Out 2 (for 1080 or 525).

With that said, you will ABSOLUTELY have trouble doing an Edit to Tape if you do not own an AJA GEN10 or some black generator to lock the DVW500 and the Kona 3. As you layoff your show, you will see "channel error conditions" on the DVW500 and then start to hear audio distortion. This is all from not having a black generator locking the two products together.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on May 7, 2010 at 8:34:05 pm

Bob,

Thanks a lot for your help. After learning how the control panel works, now everything is working perfectly. We also ordered the Aja Gen 10, like you recommended.

Now I'm having trouble linking up the Beta SP. I'm basically connecting it to the DigiBeta Component and XLR audio outputs to the Beta SP intputs. It records the image and the sound, but the image is like out of place. The top and button of the frame are not where they are suppose to be. Does the Aja Gen will fix that? Or is the Ref Loop connected incorrectly? Right now I have a BNC cable connected form the Ref Loop from the Aja Kona break out box to DigiBeta, and then to the Beta SP. Are we suppouse to do that?

Sorry to ask all this dumb and maybe obvious questions. Like a said, I'm a newbie with professional decks.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on May 7, 2010 at 9:12:58 pm

YES, the AJA GEN10 fixes that. Put the AJA GEN10 black output into both the REF input AND the composite video input (loop the 2 inputs together). Use the Kona 3 analog component output to feed the analog component input of the Beta VTR.

I am trying to have a law passed in the United States that all children born here, are issued an AJA GEN10, as life is so difficult without owning an AJA GEN10. Who cares about medical insurance, if you don't own an AJA GEN10.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on May 7, 2010 at 9:21:04 pm

Hahaha I'll vote for you for president of the United Editors of America so the Aja Gen Act pass into law :-)

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on May 8, 2010 at 1:55:52 pm

I would support this providing they are trained in it's use and "what do it do"
Hopefully prior to enrolling in day care.
There should be a provision for checking this certification on the person's Birth Certificate.
I'd have it placed directly below the guarantee section.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Joel Perez Irizarry
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:47:09 pm

Hi Bob,

Let me bother you once more. My Aja Gen 10 just arrived and I'm having a little trouble understanding how to connect it. I need to connect it to both: the digibeta and beta sp. Do I just connect a bnc cable to the Ref Loop in both desks and one to the Aja Kona Break out box? You mention I had to connect it also to the composite cable in the Beta SP. Should a do the same with the DigiBeta? What is the AES 11 supposed to do? That is where I'm supposed to connect to the Kona break out box.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]