FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to transfer HDCAM SR contents to Hard Drives via Kona 3 or directly

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nhan Nguyen Dinh
How to transfer HDCAM SR contents to Hard Drives via Kona 3 or directly
on May 5, 2010 at 12:37:20 pm

Hello,
I have some HDCAM SR tapes, I'd like to tranfer its contents (all HDCAM SR shots) to Hard drives, please help me :
How to transfer HDCAM SR contents to Hard Drives via Kona 3 or directly without Kona 3
My equipment :
Mac Pro Nehalem
FCP 7 (FC Studio 2009)
Kona3
Raid 5 Tetra
Thank you very much
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: How to transfer HDCAM SR contents to Hard Drives via Kona 3 or directly
on May 5, 2010 at 2:09:51 pm

You need to rent an HDCam SR deck, or find a facility that has a deck and can capture the footage for you.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 5, 2010 at 3:05:52 pm

Hi Amie
Thank you for your response. I meant :
How I conncect for copying from HDCAM SR VTR to Hard drives via Kona 3.
1/ Do I need Final Cut Pro ? If yes, must I capture each shot ? If I capture the whole contents (whole number of shots) the clip will be too heavy to edit ?
2/ Can I copy directly, without FCP, from HDCAM SR to Hard Drive via Kona 3 the whole shots in a time
Best regards
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2010 at 3:51:38 pm

Have you ever captured video from tape before?

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 5, 2010 at 4:29:24 pm

Hello Jeremy
Question :
Have you ever captured video from tape before?
Answer :Yes, via FCP (Capturing) for example from DSR 11 VTR to Mac via FCP.

My exact question was : Can we copy directly from Kona3 to Hard drive WITHOUT FCP
Best regards
Waiting for your suggestion
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2010 at 4:33:57 pm

You can use AJA VTR Exchange to capture.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 5, 2010 at 4:27:30 pm

What Jeremy said. HDCAM SR is a tape. Just like tapes you put in your VCR, or DV tape. The image is recorded onto the tape...it isn't data. So you need an HDCAM SR deck that will play this tape. Just like you need a VCR to play a VHS tape. DV camera/deck to play DV tape.

You connect that deck to your editing system via the Kona 3, and then choose a capture setting (ProRes 422, Uncompressed 10-bit) and then capture like you would capture any tape.

If, however, you have never captured from tape before, if you don't know how to connect the deck to the computer (which it sounds like you don't), then you need to either hire someone (an assistant) who has this experience, knows how to do this...or you need to give the tapes to a post facility that can capture this for you.

[Nhan Nguyen Dinh] "1/ Do I need Final Cut Pro ?"

If you want to capture the footage for USE in FCP, yes, you need FCP. If you want to use them in an Avid, you need Avid. Premiere...you need Premiere. Well, you CAN capture with the Kona software called VTR exchange. But again, if you don't know what you are doing...if this is the first time...get someone else to do it. HDCAM SR is not a basic format....it is a very complex deck.

[Nhan Nguyen Dinh] "If yes, must I capture each shot ?"

Well, don't you want to SEE each shot? You might want to have choices as to what footage you use or don't use, so why not capture everything? Yes, you must capture every shot.

[Nhan Nguyen Dinh] " If I capture the whole contents (whole number of shots) the clip will be too heavy to edit ? "

If you capture as ProRes, and you have a decent raid...no. If you capture as Uncompressed HD, and you have a GREAT BIG FAST raid...no. But if you try this with a firewire drive...yes, you will have trouble.

[Nhan Nguyen Dinh] "2/ Can I copy directly, without FCP, from HDCAM SR to Hard Drive via Kona 3 the whole shots in a time"

Sure, with VTR Exchange, AJA's capture and playout tool. But why not use FCP if you are going to edit with FCP? You are, aren't you?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 5, 2010 at 4:36:58 pm

Hi Shane,
Thank you for your informations.

Exactly : I desire to have more security : store my shots HDCAM SR in both HDCAM SR tapes and in Hard drives.
Best regards
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 5, 2010 at 4:49:47 pm

Hi Shane,
To answer to your question :
Nhan Nguyen Dinh] "2/ Can I copy directly, without FCP, from HDCAM SR to Hard Drive via Kona 3 the whole shots in a time"

Sure, with VTR Exchange, AJA's capture and playout tool. But why not use FCP if you are going to edit with FCP? You are, aren't you?

Answer : I have finished Editing (Edit with copy DVCAM from HDCAM SR + EDL Grading etc…)
Now I want to have 2 securitiy storages : Tapes and Hard drives
Thank you for help and excuse me for my lack of precision in my questions
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on May 6, 2010 at 2:23:23 pm

[Nhan Nguyen Dinh] "I have finished Editing (Edit with copy DVCAM from HDCAM SR + EDL Grading etc…)
Now I want to have 2 securitiy storages : Tapes and Hard drives "

On what system did you do your editing?

If the project and media files are still on the original editing system, it would be much faster and simpler to output a self-contained video master file (Quicktime ProRes 422, etc.) from the editing system and save the file to your archive hard drive rather than recapture media from tape.

If the project and media files are no longer on the editing system, then I guess your only choice is to capture from the master tape.

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 6, 2010 at 5:20:36 pm

So I copy all my shots from HDCAM SR tapes to Hard Drives, So the solution via Kona3 suggested by Shane fits me vwell
Best regards
Nhan

Cooki

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on May 5, 2010 at 8:19:01 pm

Hi Amie
Thank you for your response. I meant :
How I conncect for copying from HDCAM SR VTR to Hard drives via Kona 3.
1/ Do I need Final Cut Pro ? If yes, must I capture each shot ? If I capture the whole contents (whole number of shots) the clip will be too heavy to edit ?
2/ Can I copy directly, without FCP, from HDCAM SR to Hard Drive via Kona 3 the whole shots in a time

Cooki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]