FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona LHI or Blackmagic DL Extreme 3D or Matrox MX02 Le

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Karczewski
AJA Kona LHI or Blackmagic DL Extreme 3D or Matrox MX02 Le
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:25:49 am

Hi all,

Like most people in the market for some new capture hardware i waited for the outcome of NAB 2010 and was impressed with all the offerings from Blackmagic. Leaving the Davinci Resolve aside, i was impressed with the new Decklink HD extreme 3D, but now i am a bit unsure as to what will be the best capture card for me to purchase, either

Blackmagic DL Extreme 3D
AJA Kona LHI
Matrox MX02 Le

Basically i am in the market for one of the above and can afford any of them. initially for my needs the 3D capability of DL Extreme is a bit overkill, but the card is future proof and at least for now is required to use the Davinci Resolve.
The Matrox MX02 LE also a good idea, but when truly comparing it to the BM and AJA, the MAX Technology does become a bit of a novelty.

Having read through manufacturers websites and Creative Cow, i am still unsure as to which unit is right for me.

Essentially what i want is a unit that offers:
1) Some RT/final cut pro acceleration (yes for AJA and BM)
2) RS422 control (All 3)
3) The ability to output to a HDTV/HDMI monitor for color grading (Matrox only? i realise all the arguments about getting a pro monitor such as an FSI etc, but i can;t afford that - yet, 4 months time, yes.)

4) The ability to do real time hardware based Up/Down/Cross conversions.
5) Accelerated encoding (Matrox only with MAX? - bit of a novelty)

I mainly work with HD, HDV and the occasional DV project, with that in mind, what does everything think?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: AJA Kona LHI or Blackmagic DL Extreme 3D or Matrox MX02 Le
on Apr 29, 2010 at 4:58:16 pm

Kona LHi does everything you're asking except the accelerated encoding.

I have no clue about the other products because, well AJA is all we use, because their hardware just works. I have no need to look elsewhere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:49:07 pm

Thanks Walter,

Overall i've had the impression (over the years and for numerous other circumstances) that i've got is that AJA are the pick of the bunch.

This only confirms it, particularly given what Shane Ross said on a different thread about Blackmagic only doing Up/Down/cross via Software...I was fairly shocked by that!

For the moment however, i will go with MX02 LE for the Blue only mode that will allow me to "grade" via HDMI monitor and MAX technology.

In a couple of months however...i will also be the owner of a AJA Kona LHi...which may by then be compatible with Davinci Resolve on OSX.

Andrew.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:59:46 am

hey, Walter will sell you his old Pinnacle Cinewave card at a GREAT price. Maybe you should consider that !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]