I'm at a standstill. We just got a new JVC GY-HM70CHU camera that shoots to Sony's ProHD codec quicktime in full HD. Problem is, when I try to view these files in FCP 7.0.2 the footage all looks as if I have a posterizer on it. Specifically, the LHi and BETA SP deck don't seem to be communicating color space effectively. At least, that's my guess.
We're running OSX.6.3 with the new Final Cut Studio. Please help, we have clients getting more and more vocal about this quality issue...
Set FCP in the HD easy setup that matches your footage/timeline. Then right click on the appropriate output triangle in the Kona Control Panel (let's say it's the analog out) and choose secondary from the drop down menu. Then right click again and choose 525i29.97. You should know see a downconvert icon on the analog output. The manual expalins this if this proves to be an unsatisfactory explanation.
Apologies, I had no intentions of being secretive, I've never posted here before.
I'm running (or rather trying to run) footage captured from a GY-HM700CHU in quicktime 720p on the new Final Cut Studio. We're running OSX.6.3 out of an AJA KONA LHi card into a Sony BETASP PVW-2800 (I know...).
I've tried the footage in another bay using a Blackmagic card and it looks fine, and everything else coming through our deck is good, so it has to be the card. I've quadruple checked the settings and they all seem nominal. In fact, all the footage off the BETA SPs looks good, but with this high def stuff it looks like the colors are dithering, rather than blurring in a normal gaussian fashion. Sort of like you threw a posterizer effect on the frames.
I'm calling AJA now, but with NAB going on they haven't been much help. I'll have to call next week when they're lead techs get back.
As we are still dumping to BETA for the time being (our master control is getting an overhaul as we speak/type)m we really can't cut in HD yet, so we're cutting using the Apple ProRes (HQ) easy setup. I did try the steps, but the card seemed to like that less as we lost all sync with the deck at that point.
Derp, sorry. We're in NTSC-D1 SD. My concern with making the timeline HD is that for the moment we're using both HD and SD footage, in fact, we're using more SD than HD until I figure out how to work this damned card...
Thank you so much or helping me with this. I'm at home with the SD workflow, but throw in HD and I'm (apparently) lost. I wish this card was as easy as the BlackMagic HD Extreme. But I suppose with more power comes more traps.
Okay, finally got it figured out. Had a brain blast overt the weekend and did some tweaking. Turns out it was a combination of a bad deck card (they literally guaranteed me it wasn't the deck until I brought them the defective card), and my own poor setup of the AJA card. I now have a fully functional edit suite.
I really want to thank everyone who commented on this issue, you've been an invaluable help. and now I know what info is needed when posting in these forums!