FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHi and ProHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Wheeler
LHi and ProHD
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:25:52 pm

Greetings;

I'm at a standstill. We just got a new JVC GY-HM70CHU camera that shoots to Sony's ProHD codec quicktime in full HD. Problem is, when I try to view these files in FCP 7.0.2 the footage all looks as if I have a posterizer on it. Specifically, the LHi and BETA SP deck don't seem to be communicating color space effectively. At least, that's my guess.

We're running OSX.6.3 with the new Final Cut Studio. Please help, we have clients getting more and more vocal about this quality issue...

Thank you;

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: LHi and ProHD
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:27:34 pm

So you are monitoring in SD? Do you have the downconvert set properly?

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:16:55 pm

We are monitoring through an SD router, but I don't see a downconvert option in the AJA control panel...

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:03:07 pm

Set FCP in the HD easy setup that matches your footage/timeline. Then right click on the appropriate output triangle in the Kona Control Panel (let's say it's the analog out) and choose secondary from the drop down menu. Then right click again and choose 525i29.97. You should know see a downconvert icon on the analog output. The manual expalins this if this proves to be an unsatisfactory explanation.

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:31:27 pm

Just to update, the problem was in the Deck and the video cards therein, not in any way on the AJA card.

Thanks for all the good tips!

Brian Wheeler
Senior Editor
KXRM / KXTU

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:35:29 pm

[Brian Wheeler] "Specifically, the LHi and BETA SP deck don't seem to be communicating color space effectively."

how is the deck connected?
If analog, the Video out should be SMPTE not betacam.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:18:24 pm

Analog out is in SMPTE, but nothing seems to be helping.

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 16, 2010 at 6:18:40 pm

[Brian Wheeler] "but nothing seems to be helping. "

since you are being rather secretive about the exact workflow its hard to help

We cannot guess at what you are doing and if you do not walk us thru EVERYTHING we are flying blind.

what format and frame rate
what deck, how is it connected and how are you monitoring?

is the software and firmware on the card current, have you re-installed both to make sure.

The aja products do not need FCP to run. are you getting a clean signal out of the LHi without fcp open.

Have checked the manual?
did you call tech support.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:53:23 pm

Apologies, I had no intentions of being secretive, I've never posted here before.

I'm running (or rather trying to run) footage captured from a GY-HM700CHU in quicktime 720p on the new Final Cut Studio. We're running OSX.6.3 out of an AJA KONA LHi card into a Sony BETASP PVW-2800 (I know...).

I've tried the footage in another bay using a Blackmagic card and it looks fine, and everything else coming through our deck is good, so it has to be the card. I've quadruple checked the settings and they all seem nominal. In fact, all the footage off the BETA SPs looks good, but with this high def stuff it looks like the colors are dithering, rather than blurring in a normal gaussian fashion. Sort of like you threw a posterizer effect on the frames.

I'm calling AJA now, but with NAB going on they haven't been much help. I'll have to call next week when they're lead techs get back.

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:52:30 pm

Did you follow the steps I outlined?

What format is your timeline?

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:04:01 pm

As we are still dumping to BETA for the time being (our master control is getting an overhaul as we speak/type)m we really can't cut in HD yet, so we're cutting using the Apple ProRes (HQ) easy setup. I did try the steps, but the card seemed to like that less as we lost all sync with the deck at that point.

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:05:22 pm

OK, Brian. It is obvious that you are very new to this.

You say ProRes HQ, but is that in HD or SD?

The deck wants SD, your footage is HD, the Kona can handle this conversion for you in real time, but it must be setup correctly.

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:35:01 pm

Derp, sorry. We're in NTSC-D1 SD. My concern with making the timeline HD is that for the moment we're using both HD and SD footage, in fact, we're using more SD than HD until I figure out how to work this damned card...

Thank you so much or helping me with this. I'm at home with the SD workflow, but throw in HD and I'm (apparently) lost. I wish this card was as easy as the BlackMagic HD Extreme. But I suppose with more power comes more traps.

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:25:59 am

The thing that kills me is that if I'm in the 720p down-convert mode, if I connect it to an SD monitor it looks like garbage.

I've tried the same files on a Blackmagic card and they look great, so I'm beginning to think it's just the way the AJA card down-converts....

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2010 at 5:35:06 am

No, it's not the AJA card's fault. If you're editing in an SD timeline, why are you in 720p downconvert?

Return to posts index

Brian Wheeler
on Apr 19, 2010 at 5:21:31 pm

Okay, finally got it figured out. Had a brain blast overt the weekend and did some tweaking. Turns out it was a combination of a bad deck card (they literally guaranteed me it wasn't the deck until I brought them the defective card), and my own poor setup of the AJA card. I now have a fully functional edit suite.

I really want to thank everyone who commented on this issue, you've been an invaluable help. and now I know what info is needed when posting in these forums!

Again, thank you!

Brian Wheeler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]