FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma in AE and FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Slabaugh
Gamma in AE and FCP
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:00:49 am

My problem is that displaying footage in FCP and the exact same footage in AE doesn't result in the same gamma. I've experimented with all different sorts of color management in AE including the Gamma legacy selection, color profiles (both REC 709 and REC 709 16-235), and footage interpretation but i can't match what i'm seeing in FCP.

I've searched around and only found info about quicktime color shifts in AE using Prores and DVCPro HD codecs but i can't find anything about how to match kona output in both AE and FCP. This seems to solve the problem of round trip color shifts but still leaves the problem of actually trying to make changes in after effects without guessing what they will look like in FCP.

I'm using a mac with a kona 3
Panasonic BT- LH2600W. FCP 6.0.6 and AE CS3 and the Kona 3 Control panel 7.5.1

I've also tried taking the Kona control panel off of auto and actually selecting the rec 709 color space and gamma in both programs but it didn't make it any better.

Any thoughts on how to get them on the same page would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: also i can't seem to get the 1080psf 23.98 10 bit RGB output profile in after effects to work. It shows up scrambled on the Panasonic monitor... Tips on this would also help. Who knows maybe they are related!

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
Re: Gamma in AE and FCP
on Apr 14, 2010 at 12:23:44 pm

I assume you mean the gamma shift is displayed in your renders (not preview out). This was a wide spread problem a while back (the subject of some very long threads here in the COW). The solution was to delete one of the Kona codecs (I believe it was the Kona Uncompressed). It worked for me.
Bob Pierce

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Joel Slabaugh
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:27:46 pm

I'm actually referring to the display through the kona card onto the Panasonic. I can get the computer monitor displays to match up between FCP and AE just not the monitor output to the Panasonic reference monitor.

However, i did not find that solution you are talking about so i will search for that and see if that changes anything. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:40:06 pm

There's info in here that might help you.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/872616

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]