FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV output, using Kona for deck control

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
DV output, using Kona for deck control
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:36:25 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone can clarify this question for me. I have a Kona 2. I am doing some DV work (using a Panasonic DV2500 deck). I had figured I would use the firewire cable to carry the video/audio and use the RS-422 on the deck (connected to the Kona 2) for deck control. Deck control always seems faster and more reliable when using the RS-422 vs the firewire.

So I was able to capture some clips using that setup (Using the Kona-Panasonic RS-422 capture template) and they looked good and appeared to be TC accurate. Then I did a test 'edit to tape' and had some trouble. I loaded up the sequence to output, set the in points, but when I clicked on the 'assemble' button, nothing would happen. Again, I have the deck control using the Kona-Panasonic preset, and the video/audio going through the 'DV-NTSC' preset (over the firewire cable). The edit to tape window reports the deck as 'OK' and I can shuttle and jog with no problems.

So if I switch the deck control preset from the Kona (RS-422) control to the NTSC-DV-Firewire preset, the assemble button now works and the edit to tape works fine.

I guess I just wanted to see if anybody has tried to use the firewire for video/audio and the Kona for deck control? Can I make this work, or should I just forget the RS-422 option and just go firewire all the way for ingest and output? Do I need to buy a separate USB-RS-422 Adapter (Addenda?) or something?

Thanks for the help,

Peter

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: DV output, using Kona for deck control
on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:47:11 pm

you don't need any adapters for the Kona2 422 it's onboard the card.
it's possible and likely your deck is not an "editing" deck in that it cannot assemble or insert over 422.
FW only and assemble only.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 12, 2010 at 8:21:48 pm

Thanks for the email Doug. Glad to hear that the Kona handles the deck control. Yeah I figured that my deck wasn't an editing deck and I can't do insert editing. I guess I'm wondering what the RS-422 control would be good for then with this deck. Is it only for capturing media? When outputting is it not accurate enough for assemble editing? Just trying to not use the firewire for deck control since it's so much slower (and it seems more problematic sometimes).

-Peter

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Apr 13, 2010 at 5:51:33 am

It has nothing to do with the accuracy of the interface, it has to do with the deck not being capable of performing those edits via a 422 controller. you can do the simple stuff like play and batch digitize but the electronic brains are not there to control a host of conversations between the controller and the deck all the chatter that occurs in arming channels color framing sync etc are not present on that deck. You have to by a more expensive deck to have editing features available to you.
one thing 422 control for capture will give you, is timecode while using "capture now"

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]