FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sure see a lot of 23.98 Pro Res/Kona sync threads

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Harb
Sure see a lot of 23.98 Pro Res/Kona sync threads
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35:20 pm

I have been having a sync issue every since I started working on this 23.98 Pro Res project. I finally have given up since nobody including Aja seem to be able to find a solution. I just keep cutting the project since I would rather be an editor than tech. The sync is out, I stop its back in, then it slips...then its back in....moving target...not fun.

I wouldnt have even brought it up again but I have noticed multiple people talking about this issue. There also seems to be a commonality which is that they seem to all be 23.98 Pro Res projects using a Kona. Anyone have any thoughts on this besides do some research? Anyone having this issue ever solve it?

Paul

Paul Harb-Producer/Director
Wrong Beach Multimedia
Dual 3.2 GHz Quad/10.5.5/8GIG RAM/FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sure see a lot of 23.98 Pro Res/Kona sync threads
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:45:28 pm

And there are many of us who cut 23.98 ProRes (and DVCPRO HD) all the time with zero sync issues.

This is tough to figure out for those of us who have no problems.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:04:22 am

[Shane Ross] "ere are many of us who cut 23.98 ProRes (and DVCPRO HD) all the time with zero sync issues. This is tough to figure out for those of us who have no problems. "

I agree

One constant seems to be audio NOT recorded as part of the video, and that leaves me to believe that apple changed something and didn't tell anyone.

Paul,
Did you do an "item level mixdown" of the audio inside of FCP?
This will clear up any compression discrepancies issues, and if it works it means that somewhere in your workflow the audio is not being handled as a 48k 24bit signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:36:38 am

Hey Gary,

Ya, I tried that....didnt fix it. Im usually actually pretty good at figuring these tech issues out...but this one has me stumped due to its randomness.

Paul

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:33:21 am

Hi All,
OK I have been following this issue for a while now and NEVER had a sync issue until this week! and *Bam!* All of a sudden my Kona3 output would be out of sync with my audio and canvas in FCP... stop the play back, re-start and it was back in sync. Drove me crazy for 2 days!... So I went back and re-read almost every post I could find on this issue.

Here is what I figured out and it FIXED MY SYNC ISSUES!

This particular project, I realized, "dips to black" quite a few times... just an innocent dissolve to "nothing" with a few seconds of black (no slug... just empty timeline) ...randomly @ different amounts while music plays until the video fades or cuts back in... No Big deal, so i thought... but I took a look at my audio files used in the timeline and found that I had 3 different types of audio on the time line (16 bit/44.1Khz music files, 16 bit/48Khz XDCAM files and 32 bit/48Khz Red Cam audio files) which FCP had to deal with. This got me thinking and I realized that my sync issues were timed perfectly to my black sections. a one second hole in my video track on my timeline would amount to a one second sync delay to my audio.... a 3 second hole... a 3 second delay. so here is what I did...

I put a Slug under each of my gaps so there were NO EMPTY SPACES on my video timeline and that did it... No more sync issue.

Seems like when FCP is sending everything to the KONA3 card, if there is a blank spot on your video timeline it gets confused. The slugs filling the holes seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps somebody.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:39:44 pm

The sync issue is common among 29.97 timelines as well. Make sure there is slug on the timeline where you want black.

MacPro 3.2ghz 8 core, 12 Gbyte RAM, FCP 7.0.1, OS X.5.8
QT7.5.5, Kona3 (v7.1), Atto FC41-ES, 12TB Custom RAID-striped RAID 3.
NVidia Geoforce 8800GT

Return to posts index

Paul Harb
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:45:04 pm

Ill try this, what a really really annoying bug....Ive have never had this issue, is this an AJA thing or APPLE? Is anyone aware of this or are to many people saying I dont have this issue and ignore it?

Paul

Wrong Beach Multimedia

Return to posts index

Drew Kilcoin
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:57:04 pm

I am not having Sync Issues with my Pro Res setup, but I am having problems with playback on my consumer HDTV screen. it decides about every couple hours to start flickering and go crazy. And I have to hit Apple+F12 to fix it. But it can happen often. I know its not the card because aja sent a replacement and still does the problem

Drew
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2398405/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 5, 2010 at 11:58:31 pm

Uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. Make sure they are the latest ones.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Drew Kilcoin
on Apr 6, 2010 at 12:00:03 am

been there done that with 7.5 and the NDD.. it does the same thing on both drivers...

Drew
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2398405/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]