FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID Card with Proavio Editbox 8 MS

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Mann
RAID Card with Proavio Editbox 8 MS
on Apr 4, 2010 at 6:30:09 pm

Hope it's okay to post in the Kona forum. This seems to be where a lot of previous RAID discussions have taken place...

I am attempting to construct an 8 drive RAID 5 array for use with my Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I'm basing it off of this recipe, which used a Highpoint RocketRaid 3522. I was all set to order the parts (in fact, I already have ordered the Proavio Editbox) when I stumbled on several posts here that basically recommended avoiding Highpoint products.

(The card I had picked out was actually the RocketRaid 4322, since the 3522 doesn't seem to be Snow Leopard-friendly. )

So... am I right? Do you all really think Highpoint cards should be avoided? And if so, what's your favorite RAID card for a MacPro running Snow Leopard? (An Atto or Areca card? Will the Caldigit card play nicely with a non-Caldigit box?)

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
Re: RAID Card with Proavio Editbox 8 MS
on Apr 4, 2010 at 7:18:21 pm

We use the generic version of that box, EnhanceBOX E8 MS with the ATTO R380 host card under 10.6.3. I cannot comment on the HighPoint product, but the ATTO as a far as support for our industry if great.

Fred

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Jason Mann
on Apr 5, 2010 at 12:09:30 pm

Thanks Fred -

I'm looking at the R380 as another option. (I wish it was as cheap as the RocketRAID, but I guess it could be a get-what-you-pay-for situation...)

Glad to hear it works with Snow Leopard!

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AID Card with Proavio Editbox 8 MS
on Apr 5, 2010 at 1:24:21 pm

Another vote for ATTO.

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on Apr 30, 2010 at 9:37:57 pm

Hey Jason-
ATTOs are great, but I haven't run into any issue with the HPT cards. Built several raids with them.

best
brandon thomas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]