FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona 3 and Matrox MX02 Dilema

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Karczewski
AJA Kona 3 and Matrox MX02 Dilema
on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:45:50 pm

Hi All,

I've spent the last couple of weeks pouring over creative cow forums to gather information on building a new system/suite. Primarily my question concerns two things;

1) The viability of getting a AJA Kona 3 LHi card Vs Matrox MX02 LE (with Max...).

2) Future Proof/upgradability.

Basically i'm going to buy the 2010 Mac Pro when it comes out, load it up with a 2nd HDD set that up as a RAID 1 for OS protection etc then swap out the the RAM for either 8GB or 16GB of RAM from OWC. And while i'm shopping at OWC i'll purchase a 8TB Mercury Pro Elite-AL RAID 5/10 system.

Thats the plan...however what i will be doing is purchasing two separate LCD monitors to connect to the Mac Pro...

On the one hand if i were to get a Matrox MX02, one of my LCD monitors would essentially (but in no way perfect) be a decent color grading monitor...something i do a lot of...

As i understand it both the AJA Kona 3 and Kona LHi, do not offer the "grading" function available with the Matrox MX02. However they do offer far more options in terms of capturing and cross conversions...

I mainly work with DV, HDV, XDCAM, and moving towards RED (all flavors...). What are everyone's opinions, as to which hardware might suit me better?

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
Re: AJA Kona 3 and Matrox MX02 Dilema
on Apr 1, 2010 at 12:47:03 pm

Hopefully, Walter and Gary don't kill me with their comments

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:21:53 pm

[Andrew Karczewski] "Hopefully, Walter and Gary don't kill me with their comments"

No just for posting the same content in multiple forums.

answered in the FCP

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Andrew Karczewski
on Apr 1, 2010 at 6:08:58 pm

Thanks, Gary!