FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double speed decks

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Double speed decks
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:10:23 pm

Does anyone know if the HDW-D1800 supports double speed digitizing? I'm sure KONA 3 probably only supports SR decks for this feature, but there's no list of approved decks on the AJA site (and yes, I contacted support, too). It also seems to only support HQ flavors of prores, which is overkill for my needs.
I ask because AJA Sales posted this: "- KONA 3 now supports double speed transfer from supported VTRs, such as some HDCAM models ", which doesn't sound like it's SR exclusive, but Sales may not realize the enormity of difference between SR and non-SR.

At this point I've wasted the half-hour I was going to save by double speed digitizing. Doh!

Return to posts index

Phil Erney
Re: Double speed decks
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:42:28 pm

The HDCAMSR 5800 with the dual link HQ board will support double speed. Sony's standard dual link option cards (earlier SR decks and the 5800 with the standard dual link card) do NOT support double speed. My understanding is that you need a either dual link or a 3G connection to handle DS video. That would rule out the HDW1800. I also called aja support looking for tested results and they had none. If anyone has the 5800 with HQ dual link board, please report.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:42:55 pm

[John Davidson] "Does anyone know if the HDW-D1800 supports double speed digitizing?"

It is my understanding that only the current versions of the SRW5500 and SRW5800 decks support DBL speed capture via the K3.

FYI it will need to be done in VTR Exchange, and yes there are more codecs available than ProResHQ.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:45:31 pm

Information regarding the double speed transfer feature for KONA 3 can be found on page 4 and 5 of the Release Notes document for KONA 3:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/ReleaseNotes_KONAv7.5.pdf

At this time, the only VTRs that support double speed transfer are HDCAM SR VTRs:

HDCAM SR SRW5100 Player with HKSR5103 board

HDCAM SR SRW5800 Recorder with HKSR5803HQ board

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:01:16 pm

Gotcha. Thanks!