FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any Kona solution for HD playback without PCIe?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wild
Any Kona solution for HD playback without PCIe?
on Mar 27, 2010 at 1:09:32 am

We're having some issues with our Red Rocket card in our Intel Macs as both it and the Kona seem to want Slot 2. While Kona 3 cards apparently play well in Slot 3, the Kona LHe does not. So...therein lies the conflict.

So...since I don't need ingest, I'm looking for the best way to get playback without using the PCI slots at all so I can have one machine with the Red Rocket card in it. In looking over the AJA products, it seems the I/O is overkill as it's set up for much more and in-field duties. The Express is NEARLY perfect, but for laptops, not desktops without also having a PCI card.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to stay AJA as we have 4 other systems, but wanted to see if I'm missing a solution that exists without going all the way up to the Kona 3 for this machine.

Thx.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Any Kona solution for HD playback without PCIe?
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:52:53 am

The ONLY IO products that don't use PCIe are the AJA IO line. Decklink, Matrox...all have PCIe solutions.

OH, there is the MXO...the original Matrox MXO. That connects via DVI.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:55:27 am

Yep, that's what I've come up with.

There is the MOTU V4HD, but for that price, I might as well get a Kona 3! (Which is what I may end up doing...)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:43:48 pm

[Kevin Wild] "We're having some issues with our Red Rocket card in our Intel Macs as both it and the Kona seem to want Slot 2. While Kona 3 cards apparently play well in Slot 3, the Kona LHe does not. So...therein lies the conflict.
"

I have not been able to successfully configure a Kona card and a Red Rocket in the same computer, it is my understanding that is not possible.

There is an entire thread on this in the RED forum.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Mar 27, 2010 at 1:35:12 pm

Not entirely true. (I'm all over the RED forum. :-)) The Kona 3 per AJA's recommendations can be in either slot 2 or 3. The problem, it seems, most people are having is the LHe which AJA recommends only slot 2...and thus the conflict with the Rocket that also wants slot 2.

So...any FW-based playback systems I'm missing? I am still leaning towards the MOTU unit after some research last night. Not a bad utility unit to have around...does a lot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2010 at 3:22:53 pm

IoHD?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:53:26 pm

The Motu V4HD connects via firewire, and apparently works with ProRes:

http://www.motu.com/video-products/v4hd/fcp.html

But I'm trying to figure out how it does this. I know it can capture footage as DVCPRO HD via firewire, but CAPTURE ProRes? The only way the IOHD can is by including an onboard ProRes encoder...

Well, reading this, apparently it does this:

http://www.motu.com/video-products/v4hd/features/firewire.html

That is new. Or, new to me. Last I read it only did DVCPRO HD. Now this is cool...

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Mar 27, 2010 at 10:56:30 pm

Hi Shane,
The way I read this is; it captures to ProRes via SDI or component but not Firewire.... Still pretty cool though. It must have a hardware encoder and just uses the firewire to transport into the FCP system once it is encoded to ProRes?

Here is what is on the link:

"The V4HD speeds your capture process by ingesting any source directly to ProRes format. Just connect the source via SDI, component or any of the other offered on its rear panel, and your resulting clips are captured in ProRes format, without the extra step needed to transcode them."

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 28, 2010 at 2:49:18 am

[Richard Cooper] "The way I read this is; it captures to ProRes via SDI or component but not Firewire...."

SDI is a connection to a DECK or CAMERA, not the computer. Computer connections are firewire and PCIe and Express34.

With the text you quoted, it sounds like it has an on-board ProRes encoder. I wonder about that.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:11:14 pm

Ahhh...here are some old posts about the V4HD. People who used it in the real world, and had issues with it. BIG ones. Biggest being horrid tech support, and that alone is pretty unforgiveable.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1030119

Read that, then read the few comments after it.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]