FORUMS: list search recent posts

RGB 10-bit magic settings

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Bishop
RGB 10-bit magic settings
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:26:16 pm

System specs: Snow Leopard 10.6.2 w/both versions of Quicktime installed.
Kona 3 7.5.1 (also used 7.5.0)
Final Cut 7.0.2 (also used 7.0.1)
HDCAM SR - SRW-5800
Tektronix 7020 scope

I am capturing RGB 10-bit material from HDCAM-SR with SMPTE range. I am able to capture/output no problem if I use the Bars & black signal that originate from the tape.

Any blank spots, or slug will cause the blacks to dip below 0mv. Also, using any stills or other non-RGB footage (such as Animation) will render fine if I don't use any effects such as a dissolve or crop. Once I apply any effect/filter/motion, the overall levels change.

My sequence is setup to render in RGB. I have heard rumors about some secret magic way to get RGB to render correctly in 10-bit. Trashing Quicktime prefs? Imported Still/RGB Video gamma setting?

Any insight would be appreciated, and possibly result in more sleep.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: RGB 10-bit magic settings
on Mar 29, 2010 at 4:52:12 am

It seems to me that opacity changes and exporting still frame and possibly other manipulations occur as YUV effects not RGB even if you're set up RGB.
If I paste 10bit RGB footage into a 10bit uncompressed sequence and render I don't have luma/color issues in playback and the resulting darkening when stopped or parked on a frame.
Even though I set up a 10 bit uncompressed timeline I still render in RGB.
when I import the footage (file based DPX to RGB quicktime AJA xlater) I have the Gamma set to 2.2 for RGB images. after all's put together I copy the RGB sequence and paste to a 10bit uncompressed sequence and render.
Life becomes beautiful

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]