FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just a quick note about AJA Support

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron James
Just a quick note about AJA Support
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:47:26 am

I just want to chime in briefly about AJA support for anyone who might be on the fence about purchasing an AJA product.

I have experience with the Kona3 and have dealt with AJA support in the past (to help me through closed-captioning for HD). Recently, I installed an LHi on a second Mac and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting deck control through the breakout cable. I was hung up on details such as slot number and drivers and when I tried all I could, I put through a call to AJA. Within about a minute, I was on the line with a support person, which is amazing. To make a long story short, I'm an idiot. I had the breakout cable fastened upside down, which I didn't think was possible, but I made it happen. Everything is working beautifully now.

This support call was just as great as the others I've placed in the past. This blows me away. My reason for posting is simple: I value this excellent service. The product is amazing, but the AJA people are the most valuable thing to me.

Thanks again, AJA. I'll make sure to keep the label-side up from now on.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Just a quick note about AJA Support
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:02:07 pm

Aja's customer service is well known in the pro world

Rainer

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Mar 24, 2010 at 7:18:23 pm

I'm seriously disappointed in AJA support right now. Driver 7.5 and 7.5.1 are both buggy and being on the phone with support was very dissatisfying. Two examples. One issue I just posted about with the Control Panel reverting to defaults constantly. No help. I was told that's just how the control panel work. My reply was if I was use to this I wouldn't be calling in today. The second major disappointment. I downloaded 7.5.1 because I needed the DS Keyer to work. Well, it works now when doing an Edit To Tape from FCP but it won't put the graphic on the incoming video. The guy on the phone told me it wouldn't so I asked, "then what is the setting 'Graphic Over Video In' for?" His reply "Uh, that's a good one. I don't know but I can ask about it." I'm very disappointed in the 7.5 and 7.5.1 drive. It seems that the quality control has really fallen off somewhere. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Jay

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:30:20 am

I too have had nothing but excellent sevice from AJA support. They even replaced my second hand KONA3 for free when it was no longer under warranty! I was not even the original owner....All I had to do was pay shipping. And they sent me a complete cable replacement set, again for free, even after I told them my card was second hand and did not come with cables.

"One issue I just posted about with the Control Panel reverting to defaults constantly. No help."

I have read in several threads here that you must be logged in as "administrator" for your control panel to not revert back to defaults. Are you an Admin on your system?

"...then what is the setting 'Graphic Over Video In' for?"

This could possibly be a setting in "anticipation" for a future software update in which this would be possible? I have seen this before on other software and hardware. I know it can be frustrating but if the card wont do it, the card just wont do it.... time to move on...

Just some thoughts.... Hope they are helpful.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:32:46 am

AJA support is second to none. It is the sole reason to purchase an AJA card above any other manufacturer. What does a couple of hundred dollars mean, when your system is down, and the "other" company says "send in the card, and we will take a look at it" - NO, I NEED A CARD FED EX TOMORROW - I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A JOB. This is what you pay for - and this is what you get from AJA. No Bull@#$%, just working hardware, with no excuses.

I will address Jay's comment in a seperate email.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Just a quick note about AJA Support - answers
on Mar 25, 2010 at 2:45:34 am

I will respond below. You have dealt with AVID for years Jay. How was AVID's support ? How long did they keep you on hold ? How many idiots has AVID put on the phone with you, that told you that your only problem was that you were not using AVID storage, or that you should "zap the pram" in your MAC.

Here is your reply -

Driver 7.5 and 7.5.1 are both buggy.

Reply - I have installed two AJA Kona LHi cards in the last two days with these drivers, and am not seeing any buggy operation within FCP.

One issue I just posted about with the Control Panel reverting to defaults constantly.

REPLY - I have replied to this numerous times on this forum. The answer (I had the same problem) came from AJA support. If your computer is logged on as a user, and you do not have administrative privilages, then your preset settings will not be saved. This was discovered when I was instructed to trash my preferences, and the system would not let me, because I was not the administrator. I logged on as the administrator, and all of a sudden I could trash my preferences, and then all of a sudden, I could SET and SAVE my control panel settings, and when I rebooted, my settings that I created stayed there !

Do you know how to trash your AJA Kona Control Panel preferences ?
in your MAC, click on your hard drive -
go to users/username/library preferences
see the file called com.ajaKonaControlPanel.plist
delete this file. If you can't delete this file, you are not the administrator. Once you accomplish this, reboot, set your control panel settings, close, and reboot again. You will see that your settings are now "saved".

I downloaded 7.5.1 because I needed the DS Keyer to work.

REPLY - I unfortunately cannot answer this question, because I am not in front of a system right now. Hopefully someone at AJA will reply to this (or someone else on this forum, like Gary).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Mar 25, 2010 at 4:47:57 am

Avid? Yea, they have totally left me hanging in the last few months. I'm not very pleased with them right now either. Not a bit of help on getting the port server addition to our unity working right when adding the Media Engine to the domain. Assistance in migrating from SD to HD, mostly useless.

Your post above is a lot more helpful that the phone support I was getting from AJA. I see that working, but the part that puzzles me is that I was not seeing the need to be an admin before I upgraded the driver. Maybe before it was just defaulting back to the settings I was always using, and now not. Which I would settle for.

The DS Keyer issue really has me bummed. Because on page 67 of the manual it clearly says that it should put the Graphic Over Video In in the way I would like it to and the support person was clueless about it. Very disappointing.

Maybe I'm just too fondly remembering back to when Tech Support was more about the tech and the nerd and less about EBKAC. Maybe I just need to expect less.

I should stop ranting now.

Thanks for listening.

Jay

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:25:26 pm

I have had good experiences with AJA tech support, but I do think that sometimes companies have policies for everything except how to conduct yourself if you're the "new guy".

It doesn't sound like Jay encountered a very seasoned member of the team over there, and everyone has to start someplace, but I have found that lots of companies never address how someone should respond if they don't know the answer to something. Letting a tech support customer know that you need to call them back on an issue to "clarify something" or because you want to "do some digging" or whatever you need to say to get off the phone and acquire an answer you don't have, leaves the customer with a far better feeling than "I'll be damned, I don't know what the does either...".

It's the marketing side of tech support...and it just seems to get overlooked sometimes.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:01:18 pm

As a follow up. I did send AJA support an e-mail about my experience and problems. I did get a helpful and informed reply. It went much better than the phone call. Got the DS Keyer to work on incoming video, but it doesn't seem to work on Dual Link. They said they would look into that. And the Settings issue was answered pretty much the way Bob laid it out. And the e-mail reply did say that they would look into the issue of needing to be Admin to save settings.

As an aside, I would like to say that the frustration I was feeling with AJA support has been a build up of disappointment with the support of many manufactures over the last couple of years. It seems like when I call just about anyone recently that they run a check list and then if the problem isn't solved they give up.

Jay

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Bob Zelin
on Mar 27, 2010 at 6:50:37 pm

Jay writes -
It seems like when I call just about anyone recently that they run a check list and then if the problem isn't solved they give up.

NO NO NO ! AJA does not give up. This is why drivers for Snow Leopard came out for the AJA I/O FOR FREE (an outdated box). This is NOTHING like the morons at AVID. I just installed three new HP Z800 AVID MEdia Composer systems with MC 4.0.4 software, under Vista 64. The two new AVID Nitris DX boxes worked great - but the older AVID Adrenaline DNA box system CRASHES all the time. Do you think that AVID is going to sit there and try to figure out why their outdated box is not working properly - ABSOLUTELY NOT. They did their users a "favor" - but AJA FIGURES IT OUT AND DOES NOT CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE.

I am breaking your balls because I know that you are a long time AVID user (so am I) - and you can NEVER compare AJA to a horrible company like AVID. AJA is great.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]