FORUMS: list search recent posts

What HD-SDI cable?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Claude Jones
What HD-SDI cable?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:28:48 pm

What HD-SDI cable specification would you recommend for capturing 10 bit 422 1920x1080 straight to a computer from a Sony EX3?
I have done some research but all I could find were really favorite brands rather than specification. I found people recommending Canare, Belden etc, but chances are I will have to find an equivalent since I don't seem to be able to find these brands around here and shipping from the U.S. will probably be impractical. I need about 65-75 feet. That's long enough since the studio is about that size.

The only thing I could find around here has the specifications bellow. It's for 330 feet but I only need 75 feet.

"HD-SDI cable (RG59) with 75 ohm impedance. At 330 feet it has still only an incredible 20dB attenuation (at 800MHz HD-SDI). The attenuation at 100m is only 4.7 dB at 50 MHz, or 2.3 dB at 10 MHz.
The cable diameter is 7mm. Comes complete with Neutrik BNC connectors."

This was on their page. Is this type of cable something I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: What HD-SDI cable?
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:19:12 pm

Most current BNC cables are 59a spec which is fine for HD production.

I have never seen any HDSDI ever really go 300 ft, I do not recommend anything over 150 ft.

You cant go wrong with Canaire or tec nec cables from Markertek.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:55:53 pm

Thanks. I would love to get the Marketek stuff but as I said overseas shipping is so impractical.
I do not need nearly 300 feet though. Just 75 feet.

So do you think I should be fine with the above cable?
One thing I didn't like is that they mention the cable to be very flexible and I heard HD rated SDI cables are rather stiff and the flexible stuff are normally SD cables.
here are a couple of other specifications I found about the cable I'm looking at locally:

*Perfectly suited for HD-SDI (with this length up to about 800MHz, 1.6 Gbit / s)

Not sure but the brand seems to be SC-VECTOR PLUS 1.2/5.0.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:21:33 pm

[Adam Claude Jones] ""HD-SDI cable (RG59) with 75 ohm impedance. "

that is all you need to know, these cables are fine.

My HDSDI cables are flexible would not have it any other way.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:28:54 pm

there are a million companies that sell cables, but only a few companies actually make the cable itself. If you are not in the US, I am sure that you have professional dealers near you that sell broadcast products, that will include cables.

You want to purchase a cable that is double shielded coax cable, designed for HD-SDI signals. When you see things like -
Belden 1505A
Belden 1694A
Canare L-4CFP
GEPCO VPM-2000
these are the names of the rolls of cable. Companies like Markertek buy this cable, and sell premade shorter legnths of cable. In the US, there are countless mail order companies that sell cables. In England, places like Root6 can sell you cables. In Italy, LINK Electronics actually is another excellent manufacturer of cables. It is your job to find a place in your country that is a broadcast video dealer, that sells cables. I can give you lots of names of places to buy these cables in the US - but if you don't want to pay for shipping for a 75' cable, then you have to find a dealer locally, that sells BROADCAST products.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:51:59 am

Thanks.
I managed to dig up the cable manufacturer and here is the manufacturer's page for the cable:

http://www.sommercable.com/2__produkte/2__030_meterware/2__600_0174_05.html

For me it sounds like rocket science as I really don't know much about it.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 23, 2010 at 2:13:20 am

you do understand that this is bulk cable, and that you will have to terminate the ends with the correct connectors, and crimp tools.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:53:42 pm

Hi Bob.
Actually I'm not getting the cable direct from the manufacturer. I'm getting it from a reseller who sells it already with the BNC connectors and cut it to any length you want. He uses Neutrik BNC connectors. He gave me the cable brand and number and I looked it up and found the manufacturer page with the specs. So if the cable looks good spec wise the connectors are taken care of.

Return to posts index

Phil Erney
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:58:13 pm

You will find that most people run Belden 1505A in a situation like that. I terminate with Trompeter UPL2000 connectors. You may find that you want to pull your cable (inwall?) before terminating. If you pulling cable, don't under do it. If it is for an edit bay think about pulling cable for monitoring as well as sync and IO.

Best-

Phil

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:52:52 am

Thanks Gary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]