FORUMS: list search recent posts

7.5 bug?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Curtis
7.5 bug?
on Feb 27, 2010 at 12:53:12 am

I recently installed 7.5 of the CP software, and started a project at 1920 x 1080 ProRes, 29.97, upper.

I'm getting nice HD video from the HDMI out, but my analog out 525i29.97 image is garbled.

I'm fairly certain this combination was working well before I updated.

This is with FCP only. When I use AE CS4 to preview, I get a nice picture in both monitors. And when I'm not using a V-out application, the bars in my NTSC monitor are correct and stable.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.5.8; QT 7.6.4; FCS3; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3; Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor via HDMI to LHi and DVI to MacPro.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 7.5 bug?
on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:07:43 pm

You don't have the downconvert setup properly?

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:22:39 pm

Responding to my own post:

I trashed FCP Prefs and reinstalled the CP software. That fixed the Secondary (NTSC) display issue. But, my primary monitor, an HP DreamColor connected via HDMI, won't go into Rec 709 color gamut with either FCP or AE now. The monitor switches from 709 to Full Gamut when I switch from the LHi Control Panel to either FCP or AE.

I also reverted to 7.1 of the CP, and the issue persists. So, that rules out 7.5 as the culprit.

So, long story short: Never mind. This is probably NOT a bug, and is likely a specific problem with my system. I'm going to reset the Kona PCI card, and reinstall everything if I have to. False alarm. Apologies.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.5.8; QT 7.6.4; FCS3; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3; Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor via HDMI to LHi and DVI to MacPro.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:43:44 pm

Lhi must be in true p mode for the Dreamcolor to work properly.

Problem is, you can't do p and SD at the same time. The card must be in psf mode, then you can do an sd downconvert.

This is why I recommend getting the HDP2 no matter what. It takes the guess work out of it and allows the most flexibilty in output combinations.

I should add this is for 1080 material as 720 is always p.

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Feb 27, 2010 at 7:10:54 pm

Thanks Jeremy.

Why do you suggest the HDP2? Wouldn't the AJA Hi5 3G converter be the better choice for me? Since the HP needs a HDMI 1.3 or DisplayPort input to go into DeepColor mode, seems to me that would be the way to go, no?

Anyway, I'm getting the HP to work in 709 as long - as you pointed out - I'm in progressive mode for video out. And if I have my View settings in 29.97i, I get both displays working, but the HP is in Full Gamut mode, and so the color isn't accurate.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 27, 2010 at 7:30:12 pm

[Jim Curtis] "Why do you suggest the HDP2? Wouldn't the AJA Hi5 3G converter be the better choice for me? Since the HP needs a HDMI 1.3 or DisplayPort input to go into DeepColor mode, seems to me that would be the way to go, no?"

No. You can search this forum and read other posts on the topic (I have a DreamColor as well) but the HDP2 provides HDMI 1.3a (via a user supplied and inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable) and it also takes whatever signal you are feeding it and makes it true p. So that would allow you HD and SD capability out of the same Kona when working in 1080p(sf) and using the DreamColor. It also allows SD monitoring on the DreamColor. The hi5 3G simply passes through what it's sent and doesn't output true p, effectively disabling accurate color monitoring on the DreamColor.

You will see other posts that the LHi is enough, and in some cases it is, but to me the HDP2 is kind of a no brainer when working in mixed format environments and using a DreamColor monitor. The combo of the Kona LHi, the DreamColor, the HDP2 is still more cost effective than buying 1 of the other HDSDI 10-bit display panels out there. It's still a good deal and a very nice monitor (in my opinion). It won't do 1080p60, but knowing AJA's abilities I am sure a 3G version of the HDP will fix that at some point.

Hope that helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Feb 27, 2010 at 8:24:13 pm

Yes that helps a lot. I took your advice and searched the forum for the other HDP2 threads. I'll order one immediately. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:28:17 pm

[Jim Curtis] "Thanks for taking the time to explain."

No worries. Make sure to download the recent MiniConfig software for Mac and update the firmware on the HDP2. You can then control it they way you need to, as it needs to be adjusted right out of the box (it's set to all auto, and that's not always correct).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]