FORUMS: list search recent posts

cc on panny plasma

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
cc on panny plasma
on Feb 23, 2010 at 9:33:04 am

Ok I have to ask. Walter and Jeremy (and anybody else who can fill in of course) when you cc and work with the panasonic plasmas. Do you have it set to monitor mode or not? Did you calibrate it in the monitor mode? /Joel

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: cc on panny plasma
on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:32:05 pm

Monitor mode? Not sure what that is.

For calibration, I use all the manual controls and simply eyeball it to our Flanders Scientific color reference monitors.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 23, 2010 at 1:32:52 pm

Monitor mode? I don't think I have that mode. Can you explain? I don't use my plasma for cc, by the way.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Feb 24, 2010 at 1:16:37 am

Monitor mode meaning via the computer input? If this is what you mean I don't think this will work well, but I don't know for sure... It really needs to be fed via an I/O card like the Kona or Black Magic. You wont be able to get a proper signal to grade with from a computer video display card. But forgive me if I misunderstood.

Here is what I am doing...

I just had my new 1080p 50' Panasonic calibrated professionally with a probe and man does it look good. If your going to be doing any color correction on this, the calibration is well worth the $300.

They feed calibrated signals into the monitor via HDMI and there are settings that they access in the panasonic with their computer system and make adjustments that you cannot make from the menu. They set proper white and black balance, then they go in and adjust everything else to color bars from there. All monitored via a probe and special calibration software. I did make sure that he set all the "noise reduction" settings to OFF so I am getting a true unaltered picture. Now I will be feeding this from my Kona 3 card through an AJA Hi5 (HD/SDI to HDMI converter) into the Panny.

This will do nicely for my color grading monitor until I can purchase the FSI 24" LM-2450W... then it will become the client monitor at that point.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:04:36 am

50' as in 50 feet? Wow that thing must drain some serious power. ;)

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Feb 25, 2010 at 11:47:13 pm

Ha! Nope...50" typo.. hehehe

Man this Kona 3 is incredible!

Just a word of warning if you want to monitor in true 24p make sure and go with the Pro TH seriess Panny as the new G and S class don't do true 24p, but the KONA will add the pulldown for you so you can monitor on these at 29.97 from what I am getting.
I have read the all the pannys have the same plasma panels just different insides that tell it what it can and cant do and the PRO series (TH series) have card slots for different cards (HD/SDI and such)

Has any one else read this and know it to be true?

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Phil Kinjerski
on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:17:18 am

I have read the all the pannys have the same plasma panels just different insides that tell it what it can and cant do and the PRO series (TH series) have card slots for different cards (HD/SDI and such)

Has any one else read this and know it to be true?

I am looking into this very same question and talked to a guy at Pro Video and Tape (Portland, OR) who was actually quite knowledgeable. He confirmed the glass on the pannys to be the same but the main difference was the fact that you can buy additional connection cards that just pull out of the back of the panel to change connection types. I am going to go this way and look at having it professionally calibrated as I plan on using it for a temporary grading monitor.

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 26, 2010 at 1:47:37 pm

On the panasonic pro serie plasma you can choose between normal, dynamic, cinema and monitor. On monitor the manual its a mode for working with film and tv. This was the mode i meant. Do you calibrate it in this mode or the normal mode? In monitor mode everything starts out very dark so if you should calibrate it in this mode you would have to change more from standard settings.

I have an panasonic pro plasma of the TH serie 42" and Aja kona LHe as I/O.
I also have a eye-one display 2 probe.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 26, 2010 at 1:51:59 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "On the panasonic pro serie plasma you can choose between normal, dynamic, cinema and monitor."

We don't have "monitor" mode on any of our Pro Plasmas. Just Normal, Cinema and Dynamic. All are set to Normal and calibrated from there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2010 at 1:57:28 pm

+1 for me.

I think ours is a 10 series, though.

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 26, 2010 at 5:10:07 pm

My panasonic plasma is from the 11 serie. Monitor mode shows lightintensity in a different way.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:37:11 am

our 42 inch and 52 inch Pana TH series11's are all set up in "monitor" mode feeding component analog signal to them eyballed to calibrated FSI monitors

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]