FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe vs Decklink HD Extreme

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Lynch
Kona LHe vs Decklink HD Extreme
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:03:31 am

Hi,
I am hoping to find advice on which card to go with, the Kona LHe or the Decklink HD Extreme. I am needing to capture HD video from various character generators, (Lyric, Deko, etc) in both 720 and 1080. I will be capturing to a Mac Power PC G5, running Final Cut Pro 5.1. I really need to be able to capture high quality native HD video, to be used in building samples for our clients.

Are these cards the best solutions for what I need to do. Is the Kona worth the extra money? Any experiences or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LHe vs Decklink HD Extreme
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:48:35 am

Kona LHi is what you want.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:02:23 am

A G5? With PCI-X? Look for a used Kona 2. The LHe won't work in a PCI-X slot.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:30:26 pm

I've used both and the Kona is very well worth the money.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:00:42 pm

Well, asking this on the AJA forum you'll run into bias for sure!

As mentioned, the LHe, nor the LHi, will work. The regular Kona LH will...and the Kona 2 (does the Kona 2 have analog INPUTS?). And you need to make sure that the Decklink you might get will be PCI-X compliant too.

Either will work. I prefer the AJA because of the better tech support and easier software interface. Tech support is worth the extra $$.

But, I know people who swear by Decklink, and they do work, and work well. I have used both and haven't had a bad experience with the Decklink Products. I just like AJA and Matrox better (although Matrox doesn't have a PCI-X solution).

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:06:14 pm

[Shane Ross] "(does the Kona 2 have analog INPUTS?)."

No. You would need the Kona LH, (not Lhe). I missed the part about PCI-X.

Sorry.

Return to posts index

Andy Lynch
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:32:36 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe our machine is PCI express. The attached images are of an older Decklink Extreme SD card we have been using with this machine, and the ports on the G5.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:47:19 pm

Yeah, some of the last revisions of the G5s had PCI Express. It's entirely possible. Sorry, I should have just reread the post. If it is PCIe, the LHe will work then.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:49:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yeah, some of the last revisions of the G5s had PCI Express. It's entirely possible. Sorry, I should have just reread the post. If it is PCIe, the LHe will work then."

As far as I know, the G5 Quad is the only G5 that had PCIe. That was the last G5 we owned before moving to the Mac Pros.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:06:32 pm

There were dual core G5s as well.

http://guides.macrumors.com/PowerMac_G5_Dual_Core_(2005)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2010 at 10:20:25 pm

Walter is correct - he has the G5 "Quad". You can tell because you have TWO ethernet ports on the back of your computer, which was the only G5 to have this (then they went to the MAC Pro).

so exactly what are you asking - why should you spend the money for an AJA Kona LHi, instead of the Blackmagic Decklink Extreme ?

There about a $300 price difference at the B&H site. Exactly what are you going to do with that $300 ? Save children in Haiti, help the IRS in Austin Texas with that $300 ? You tell me what you need that extra money for, and I will tell you if it is worth getting the AJA instead of the Blackmagic

(hasn't this been discussed 20000 times ?).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 19, 2010 at 3:20:02 pm

[Shane Ross] "(although Matrox doesn't have a PCI-X solution). "

Or a 2K solution.

I like Shane work with Aja and Matrox products, I do like BMD's ultrascope for the price, too bad it's a windows only application.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:34:07 pm

[gary adcock] "I do like BMD's ultrascope for the price, too bad it's a windows only application. "

I LIKE that it is PC only. This means that I can get a $500-$800 box to use the scopes on. Not shell out $2400 for a Mac! In this case, the PC move was VERY smart.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:47:16 pm

Shane is correct - it was VERY smart. There is so much emotion of "new" users between Blackmagic and AJA, but both Blackmagic and AJA are VERY smart companies, and realize that the days of linear capture (from VTR's) are to be over soon (and are over right now for many) - so BOTH companies develop innovative products, like the Blackmagic Ultrascope, AJA KiPro, and routers like Broadcast VideoHub and Kumo (as well as wonderful A/D and D/A converters). I bet you anything that we see OUTPUT ONLY cards at reduced costs from both AJA and Blackmagic this NAB, because the need for capture from video sources (like VTR's) is going away quickly. Both AJA and Blackmagic have unique innovative, and wonderful products.

And then there is the guy with the Beta VTR, never having used FCP, and says "gee, how do I get this Beta machine into FCP". And so, the debate over $300 begins for him, while it is ending for "all of us" that are in the land of P2, XDCam EX, Canon, and RED.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:58:51 pm

I've been using the HD Extreme for a couple of years now, but the integration with Adobe (on my PC system) was so flaky that when I switched to FCP late last year, I bought a second hand LHe with BB for $500 and haven't looked back. I feel the Kona cards are more tuned to Mac Pros.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:49:51 pm

well before spending a PENNY on anything for a G5, I think you need to sit back and decide if thats money well spent. if you go to an intel machine, even a 4core used one, its going to run circles around the G5. once you are intel, you should take a hard look at the matrox MXO2's, especially the LE MAX version. if you are making a lot of h.264's, the MAX accelerator will make your life a lot better with how fast you can turn them out. they also support every codec out there.

I'd hardly call tape dead. as much as we might like it, its still alive and well. there's 40+ years worth of material on it ! also direct capture from camera is another use. the MXO2 really shines here because you can put it on a laptop and capture anywhere. so you might well want to again think about if its worth spending anything on a clearly dead machine.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]