FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Capra
Dropped Frames in Final Cut Pro
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:13:36 pm

One of our workstations suddenly started suffering from intermittent dropped frames when playing off the timeline. Our projects are typically SD NTSC ProRes HQ sequences. But it seems to occur regardless of the project or the type of media involved. It happens with complex projects, ones with only one track of video and minimal effects/transitions, and even has happened with sequences containing only audio.

It doesn't seem to change anything whether I switch between SafeRT or UnlimitedRT. The problem crops up typically within 5 to 10 minutes of editing. If I close and reopen FCP the problem goes away for a while.

This workstation is a recent generation MacPro tower with OSX 10.5.8 and FCP 6.0.6. It has 6gig of RAM and video captures and plays back to/from an external LaCie RAID1 storage unit connected via Firewire800. It has an AJA Kona Lhe capture card connected to DVCAM deck via SDI. We have three other similar workstations and none of them are suffering from this problem, including one that has the exact same hardware/software configuration. The other two are DV-only/Firewire setups on first generation MacPro's but with the same versions of OS and software.

Looking for an initial direction in which to begin my troubleshooting. Any hints are appreciated.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Dropped Frames in Final Cut Pro
on Feb 16, 2010 at 1:45:20 am

[Jonathan Capra] "Looking for an initial direction in which to begin my troubleshooting. Any hints are appreciated. "

Whats different between the working machines and the non- working one.

what was the last update?
What new codecs have you updated?

What else is the computer used for?

are all of the software and hardware versions the same?
are you sure? (check - do not assume)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]