FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to Kona no Audio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kip Kermoian
Avid to Kona no Audio
on Feb 14, 2010 at 2:29:59 am

After wearing out 6 Apple Support Techs, I'm glad to have found this site.
I have been successfully capturing Video from an Avid on meridian (Mac 867, OS 9.2) via SDI into FCP via a new Mac Pro with Kona LHe card by going direct(not using the KL Box)into the SDI input on the Kona card, clicking "now" in the capture window and playing the time line in the Avid. I have audio (meridian box to mixer to speakers via analog XLR)from the Avid. I cannot get audio to FCP by doing any of the following, after changing setting in the Kona control panel:

- SDI(understand it is embedded and FCP doesn't like embedded)
- Analog from meridian box into the KL box, KL box out into Kona card via provided cables.
- AES/EBU into the KL box, KL box out into Kona card via provided cables.

In all cases the audio graph never bounces, during capture or otherwise, nor does playing a Quick Time movie of captured material have audio.

I have created a Quick Time file of a show in the Avid and when transferred to the os10.6 (via G-RAID) I only got audio. Was told that the file extension "ADVj" is a proprietary Avid file that FCP will not play. I do not want to create Quick Time files in the Avid such as this as they take hours - Mac 867 only has 200kb fire-wire port, if I'm not mistaken.

I want to be able to author and burn DVDs of work already on the Avid. In the future I will work in FCP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Avid to Kona no Audio
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:06:04 pm

embedded is not a problem in FCP I use it all the time
the thing to do is to open the Kona control panel and see which input you are telling the Card to look at for audio.
When you change inputs you need to change the corresponding inputs on the control panel and verify the capture settings in your easy setup to see what FCP is telling the card.
Setting the card to AES will allow AES audio if you are in input passthrough mode and you can monitor this through your FCP system. However the card is taken over by FCP and if FCP is wanting embedded and the signal is not there it won't record any signal.
Check your Audio/video settings for the easy setup you have selected to see what FCP is telling the card.
If it's not what you are feeding the FCP system, duplicate the capture setting and edit the items you need to make it work. Then make an easy setup of what works via create easy setup in the summary page of the audio video settings.
in the log and capture window verify your clip settings, particularly audio so that you are not recording more channels than you are playing out of the AVID and that they are set to mono or stereo as required.
Be aware that you will not get timecode in this scenario

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:55:26 pm

Like Doug, I too capture SDI with embedded audio all the time. Our AJA IO feeds SDI to our Kona for SD captures. I don't know if you can do this with your Kona (probably can), but with ours you can save various setups in the control panel for easy recall later.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:05:23 am

Look in the audio output tool on your Avid. Is it possible the SDI output is off?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:32:33 pm

What they all said. Here's a pic of the AJA Control Panel where you can see the Embedded Audio is selected for audio input:

Return to posts index

Kip Kermoian
on Feb 17, 2010 at 1:12:02 am

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had tried may combinations of persets, including custom presets, insuring that the Kona control panel matched in each instance, but still had no 'luck'. When a senior Apple Tech suggested that I check my audio codec, rate and bit depth from the Avid, I found that it was set to 44.1kHz, not 48k. A friend suggested that I run my existing SDI (44.1)from the Avid,into my DSR1800, and while leaving it in 'record' mode(no tape),use it to send 48k(SDI)to the Kona card - it worked! I then digitized some clips at 2:1, 48kHz, sending it from my meridian box via SDI to the Kona card, as well as, playing a source tape (SD) directly from my DSR 1800 into the Kona card. In both cases I and was able to see the audio meters bounce in FCP during capture and in playback, but could not hear audio out of a pair of harman/kardon computer speakers with 1/8" jack, plugged into speaker jack at the rear of the Mac Pro.
The original goal was to send SDI directly from my meridian box into the Kona card. It turned out that I had connected the cable that shipped with the Kona card -the one with all of the BNC and XLR cables - to the breakout box while attempting many tests of the Analog, AES, and SDI, when in fact, I should have used the 60 pin cable that came with the KL Box (which also powers it). That aside, with nothing but the SDI going from my meridian board into the Kona card, I am able to monitor and capture audio with the exact same preset that I had been trying(unsuccessfully) while the multi-pin 'octopus' cable was still attached to the Kona card...even when none of the cables were attached to the KL Box? It seems as though that multi-pin being connected, made the difference. I'll be going RCA or XLR to new speakers via the 60 pin cable in the future.
Thanks again for your support - I'm sure to return...Kip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]