FORUMS: list search recent posts

YUV<->RGB Range Setting

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Pulicano
YUV<->RGB Range Setting
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:14:35 am

I was looking at the manual and was trying to understand the "YUV<->RGB Range" setting. Is it correct that "CGR" will map HDMI input to 8bit RGB (i.e 16-235 to 0-255) and "SMPTE" will map HDMI input to 8bit YUV (i.e 0-255 to 16-235). It does not mention anything about if those settings differ when using 10bit captures though. Speaking of 10bit capture, 10bit capture is supported for ALL resolutions (up to 1080p/60) over HDMI input, correct?

Thanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: YUV<->RGB Range Setting
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:55:59 pm

[Aaron Pulicano] " It does not mention anything about if those settings differ when using 10bit captures though. Speaking of 10bit capture, 10bit capture is supported for ALL resolutions (up to 1080p/60) over HDMI input, correct? "

that would depend on the device.

The IoHD only supports the HDMI 1.1 spec so it is only 8bit, the LHI and IoExpress support the 1.3a HDMI spec that allows for 10bit capture.

DO not work in full range unless you understand what you are doing.

As for 1080 60p - you need a hell of a lot to handle in post since signal that is over 300 MBs a second for 10bit UC and only a very few cameras are capable of creating that content.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Aaron Pulicano
on Feb 14, 2010 at 2:24:22 am

One of my sources is full range output.
This was the reason I was asking if one of the "CGR" or "SMPTE" will remap full range to limited range

Yeah, uncompressed 10bit 1080p is about 497mb/s.
My raid array is 561mb/s write and 616mb/s read.
So there should be no problems.

Also, if anyone owns an LHi card, I would appreciate if you could clarify how the audio capture works.
In the manual, it says up to eight channels of audio capture is supported over SDI or HDMI.
But it goes on to say "XENA cards support up to eight channels (four stereo pairs)".
Normally eight channels would be eight mono tracks, so how are the four stereo pairs stored in the avi container for a video/audio captured?

Additionally, how is the channel mapping done? In the captured file, is it made clear which is front left, front right, LFE, Center... etc?

Thanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:28:06 pm

[Aaron Pulicano] " uncompressed 10bit 1080p is about 497mb/s.
My raid array is 561mb/s write and 616mb/s read. So there should be no problems. "

10% head room on write speeds ??? what makes you think that is enough?

I give up.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Aaron Pulicano
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:40:18 pm

I already checked into this with AJA (to be sure I wouldn't have any problems), they said I should not have issues. Them saying so makes me think that is enough. Are you saying that information is incorrect though? Anyway, I unable to add more drives to the array as the controller is limited to six ports (using six drives as it is). If I do have issues, I can always look into using a intermediate like Cineform.

From my discussions with AJA I learned that the LHi frame buffers are SMPTE 4:2:2 - which is YCbCr. Anything in or out is converted to/from the internal frame buffer 4:2:2 format. For example, to capture 1080p60 RGB via HDMI input, it is converted to 1080p60 4:2:2 before it is written into the frame buffer.

What I am unclear about at that point is the read/write requirements. I mean, is it based on RGB or YUV due to the conversion? 10-Bit YUV 1920x1080 is 331.44MB/s and 10-Bit RGB 1920x1080 is 497.17MB/s.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]