FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lip Sync problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenyon Blower
Lip Sync problem
on Feb 7, 2010 at 2:51:01 pm

We have noticed a serious Lip Sync problem. I edit the AMA Supercross for CBS & Speed Channel on location. We kept getting lip sysnc problems, either on the feed to the network, or feeding packages to the main truck. We master 720 59.94 Prores with 5.1 + 2 Surround audio.

The audio would be in sync on the computer monitors and thru the Graham-Patten Sonarae system. The audio output on the KONA 3 would drift substantially. The cure we found was to make sure there were no gaps on the video track. All gaps must be filled with a slug.

Ours systems are

2 3.2 ghz quad with 8 gig of ram
Rourke Data 24 TB Raid with Fibre Jet networking
FCP 3
Graham-Patten Sonarae Surround Sound Monitoring

You can see the complete system at locationedit.com

Kenyon Blower
Vide-Post / San Diego
Dual 2.5 G5
3 Gig Ram
Medea 2TB Fibre Raid
Medea 640 gig SCSI
FCP 6.03
KONA LH

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Lip Sync problem
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:23:44 pm

Sounds like a good solution.

Did you try and render you audio as a mix down first? In fcp mixdown does not mean what it typically means, but rather it renders all audio to designated tracks as one temporary file. It helps with rt and multiple audio channels.

Select all and command-option-r in the timeline. It won't hurt your 5.1 + stereo.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kenyon Blower
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:26:49 pm

I did do a mix down, it didn't help. The slugs were the only thing that would help & it instantly fixed it.

Kenyon Blower
Vide-Post / San Diego
Dual 2.5 G5
3 Gig Ram
Medea 2TB Fibre Raid
Medea 640 gig SCSI
FCP 6.03
KONA LH

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:38:27 pm

Good to know. And strange.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:02:46 pm

[Kenyon Blower] "I did do a mix down, it didn't help. The slugs were the only thing that would help & it instantly fixed it. "

CAREFUL.

Slugs in FCP do not always match your timeline- All Generated files in FCP are NON DROP - so if you are working with DF timecode in your timeline-the slugs will nudge your timeline out of sync also.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Lars Savage
on Feb 11, 2010 at 7:22:11 pm

I have encountered a similar problem, although it seems to be that the video out of the Kona SDI output feeding my baseband monitor lags the video and audio in the sequence. The audio out of the Kona AES output feeding my speakers seems in sync with FCP, but appears out of sync with the program monitor, i.e. it is slightly ahead of the monitors video. Is this the same as what you experienced? I have not tried the slug workaround yet but will.

Return to posts index

Nick Long
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:43:28 pm

I've also noticed this issue on my system. It only seems to occur when there's a gap in the V1 track. Very annoying.

I seem to remember there used to be an issue in an older version of FCP with this as well, though that may have been on a CineWave suite years ago.

-Nick

Nick Long - Video Editor

n.long@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]