FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback of 720p30 video on monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry O'Brien
Playback of 720p30 video on monitor
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:26:12 pm

I have a dual core Intel Mac running 10.4.11. I have a Kona LHe board, primarily to monitor HD edited on FCP 6.0.6 on my Panasonic BT-LH1700WP Monitor.

Everything works great unless I shoot 720p30 on my Sony EX-1 XDCAM and try to view it on my monitor when editing in FCP. Under View>Video Playback, there is no AJA Kona 720p30. As A result, all I get is a still frame on my monitor. The audio plays through just fine.

The 720p30 video plays back in FCP just fine. I don't have this problem in any other settings where there is a matching AJA Kona setting for video playback. Am I missing something? Why no 720p30?

Without it, it would seem that I would either have to convert all the footage to something Kona supports...

There is something obvious I am missing, I'm sure. Who can help me out?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Playback of 720p30 video on monitor
on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:43:32 pm

Use the 720P 59.94 setting.

[Barry O'Brien] "Am I missing something? Why no 720p30? "

According to SMPTE, the ITU and other standards setting bodies, there's no such thing as 720P30 or 720P24. These formats only exist as data formats, so they can't be played out natively to a video monitor.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:03:40 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "According to SMPTE, the ITU and other standards setting bodies, there's no such thing as 720P30 or 720P24. These formats only exist as data formats, so they can't be played out natively to a video monitor.
"

To Follow up on this, no matter what frame rate you shoot all 720p material is delivered as 50p or 60/59.94p.

so you shoot 30p, you get a duplicate frame for every one you shoot.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Feb 1, 2010 at 1:31:54 pm

Thank you for the two replys.

OK, so, what I get from your two coments to this thread are:

Don't bother to shoot in 720p30, because it's not really a standard for SMPTE, in which case I'm curious why it exists: smaller storage requirements per minute of material?

None-the-less, now that I have a whole project in 720p30, what would you recommend is the best workflow to be able to play back this format on the monitor as I edit:

should I change the FCP Sequence setting to somehing else (what?)and render all the clips.

I can't be the fist person to have done this.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:42:07 pm

[Barry O'Brien] "Don't bother to shoot in 720p30, because it's not really a standard for SMPTE, in which case I'm curious why it exists: smaller storage requirements per minute of material?"

I wouldn't go that far. I think there's plenty benefit from shooting in 30P or 24P native.

You do save disk space, yes. But you also save render time by creating fewer frames for any VFX or graphics that you create.

And if you shoot 24PN, it's very easy to record out to film or to a 1080 24PsF master.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:10:35 pm

Thank you very much. I found I could set video playback for either
AJA Kona 720p59.94 10 Bit or AJA Kona 720p59.94 8 bit and playback on the monitor was fin3.

I'm good to go now.

Rgeards,

Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]