FORUMS: list search recent posts

wide gammut monitors and post-production

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
wide gammut monitors and post-production
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:03:02 pm

Hi this friday I finally ordered an Nec spectra view 2690. I have a AJA kona LHE and panny plasma but I wanted a new monitor to work on. Im a videographer/compositor and I finish to dvd and webb and HD (soon blueray discs).
I was looking foor a really nice monitor for editing and postproduction in fcp, shake, nuke and apple color.
The most I read about the NEC spectra view is good but I have not had a wide gammut screen before so I feel a little bit nerves. Im worrid that that fcp, shake, nuke not work with NEC spectra view 2690 wide gammut and show oversaterated images...

Have anybody here worked with NEC spectra view 2690? or videoediting or other applications like fcp, shake, nuke, apple color on a wide gammut monitor?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: wide gammut monitors and post-production
on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:24:24 pm

I am confused. This NEC, are you going to be using it for your computer display or video display? If video, how are you hooking it up?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:31:31 am

Hi Jeremy I will use it for computer display. I use a panasonic plasma for the video.
I look at the aja output on the plasma when the project going to finsish showing up on television. How ever when I edit photos or graphics for the projects or checking the colors before outputting to for webb I like a good monitor.

One of the worries with wide gammut screens is if the application doesn't support color management since colors show up very oversaturated. It would be annoying if for example the gui and the clips (on computer screen) were showing supersaturated. I can imagen shakes super green nodes.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:12:54 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "How ever when I edit photos or graphics for the projects or checking the colors before outputting to for webb I like a good monitor."

Then you will need to calibrate that monitor via the system settings display prefs, or use a probe to save a monitor profile back to the system. I have a wide gamut monitor for video, but it is calibrated to REC709 specs. You will probably want some sort of full RGB or sRGB profile. Does your monitor give you any calibration options?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:07:50 pm

High Jeremy I got the monitor late yesterday. Yes the monitor have very good options for calibration. I calibrate with spectraview profiler that is the best way to calibrate this monitor since its has hardware calibration. I use a xrite i1Display 2 as a sensor. I calibrated it in d65 with a tonal responsecurv of gamma 2.2 (you cant select any colorspace for the calibration. I dont know the exakt brightness in he editing room (cd/m2) but i used 160 (was recomended to 160-180) for the calibration.

I got the one problem I was afraid of. Fcp, shake and nuke all displays superred and supergreen. This must mean the dont listen to my icc profile! Everything shows up good on the plasma using aja. But i want to look at my monitor when i finish for webb and the plasma when i finish for tv. Any ideas?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:01:08 pm

Well, I have a Dreamcolor and the gamma response is supposed to be set for 2.4 when monitoring video from baseband sources ( which is of course different from graphics card monitoring). This was done as actual gamma readings off of super high end BVM CRTs was actually 2.4. As far as the colors, your video is going to be Rec 709 so I wouldn't go beyond those limits.  Since you are shooting video in 'TV' cameras, it would be my personal suggestion to adhere to tv specs. Once you go to the web, compression is going to have it's way with the video anyway, you will be turning your video to 8 bit RGB so some inconsistencies will pop up. Web video is no different from tv video. You can make sure your video is within spec, but once you release that video to the public, it will look different on everyone's monitor due to their calibration, monitor quality, or lack there of.  

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:29:05 pm

After Effect support icc so theres no problemo. So it seams it just lack of support.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:44:20 pm

Anybody used/using colorsymmetry? The makes plugins for lut and icc for postproductions programs.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Ben Cheng
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:06:37 am

Hi,

Check out this video by Rob Correll of Cine-tal - http://www.cine-tal.com/Training Videos/cal.plasma.wmv

A great video which talks about why color management, calibration are important, and how does the Davio will help display devices like Panasonic plasma.

Cheers,
Ben Cheng · Application Engineer · The Media Village Pte Ltd

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:21:59 pm

Link is busted.

Return to posts index

Ben Cheng
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:54:04 pm

Hi,

Try this link, with space in-between Training and Video - http://www.cine-tal.com/Training%20Videos/cal.plasma.wmv

Cheers,
Ben Cheng · Application Engineer · The Media Village Pte Ltd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]