FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
Monitoring Question
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:26:31 pm

I need to upgrade both my own monitor and my client monitor for better color accuracy and finishing. My current setup is a Kona 3 sending an HD-SDI signal to a 15" JVC CRT Broadcast monitor with an SDI card in it. I am doing a lot more Color work lately and need to step up the monitoring tech a bit. I was initially planning on purchasing an E-Cinema but at the moment I can't swing it.

I am planning on purchasing a JVC DT-V24L3DY to work in tandem with my current JVC SDI CRT, Apple 30", and Dell 2405. Would it be better to spend the money and get another JVC DT-V24L3DY for my clients viewing, or could I save money and purchase a more consumer based larger flat screen and use a AJA hi5 adapter to convert the HD-SDI signal to HDMI? Obviously taking the time to calibrate and get it as close as possible to the JVC. Thanks

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
Re: Monitoring Question
on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:30:41 am

If you're on a budget you could use the analog component output to the client monitor.

I can't say anything about which monitor to use, I still hold on to my PVM20L4 since I do mostly SD work but I have been looking into the Flanders Scientific monitors but I can't get my hands on one in sweden to look at.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:00:46 pm

[Jeremiah Belt] "I was initially planning on purchasing an E-Cinema but at the moment I can't swing it."

You don't need to. Click on the ShopFSI.com banner on this page or go to flanderscientific.com.

We're running three of their monitors here and they are hands down the best LCD panels we have seen in our facility. All Grade 1 and they replaced our old professional CRTs we used to use. 17" is 2495 and the 24" is 4995. And 30 day money back guarantee so if you don't like it, you send it back. Try to get that from another vendor.

For client viewing we run the Panasonic Pro Plasma displays, both 42 and 50". We manually dial them in really really close to the FSIs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:43:09 am

#1 - throw out your JVC CRT. It's 2010. Stop it. Now.

#2 - the JVC DTV24L3DY is an excellent monitor. Better than the Panasonic or the Sony. This has nothing to do with your old Dell 2405, or your Apple 30" LCD monitor. These are computer monitors, and the colors will never match (nor should you attempt to match them) - you rely on your JVC DTV24L3DY.

#3 - yes, the Flanders 2450 monitor is superior to the JVC DTV24, but it costs $1000 more.

#4 - does anyone actually buy eCinema monitors ?

#5 - the CineTal may be more accurate and better than the Flanders 2450, but at $8000, it's a little rich for my blood (or my clients).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]