FORUMS: list search recent posts

? 4 Bob Zelin re Z1U component capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Kinsman
? 4 Bob Zelin re Z1U component capture
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:46:46 am

Hi Bob & All, In your experience, how good is the live component signal (pre mpeg2 compression) from the Z1U? I know the mpeg2 signal is 4:2:0 and limited to 25mbs. I'm thinking about extending the life of the old girl by buying a Ki Pro. I know that's an Apple Pro Res (HQ) format. Does that give me true 4:2:2? Have I surpassed the cameras data rate at that point (like xferring vhs to digibeta) or is Pro Res HQ even stomping the component signal?

Thanks Bob,

Any users thoughts are appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ? 4 Bob Zelin re Z1U component capture
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:48:28 am

Chris -
look at you with all your techo talk, about compression, MPEG, and 4:2:0.

Do you understand Chris that the entire world works with compressed HD, and the entire world broadcasts compressed encoded video these days ? AVID Nitris DX systems operate at DNxHD145 - same as Apple ProRes422. AVID DNxHD220 is compressed just like ProRes422HQ. RED .R3D files are compressed. Digi Beta was compressed. HD Cam is compressed. ITS ALL COMPRESSED. And it's all delivered that way, by the big boys, even when they have to master to a Sony HDCAm SR like the SRW5800. It's all compressed.

So sure, you can take your Z1U analog CAV HD signal, and stick it into the analog CAV inputs of the KiPro, and record away. Use a ProRes422HQ codec, pop off your drive, edit in ProRes422HQ, and deliver to any tape format that you are required to. Everyone will love you, and your pictures will look great.

Stop looking at all these "techno specs" when your budget only allows for a Z1U camera. And just remember, no matter what you do, no matter what you spend, your cable company will compress the crap out of your beautiful image, and it will look like crap when your clients see it on the air. And you know what - there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
Re: ? 4 Bob Zelin re Z1U component capture
on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:19:45 am

Thanks Bob, I'll milk the last bit of life out of my investment in the Z1u and let the network stomp the crap out of a signal I didn't have to pay top dollar for.

Keep the Faith, Bob - every idiot will die - sooner or later.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]