FORUMS: list search recent posts

added frames during Edit to Tape

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Mahavier
added frames during Edit to Tape
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:08:05 pm

During Edit To Tape I'm getting a very strange problem. 1080psf 23.976 4:4:4 log. When doing my output to tape my tail sync ends up 11 frames late. Head sync is fine. This is one long output to tape, not broken up into little bits.

I need to do more testing, but what I can tell right now is that at about two and a half min into the edit to tape a frame is added to the beginning of a shot. This is not a repeated frame like a freeze frame, but a frame from the handle of the shot. All shots after that are out of sync with what is in the timeline by a frame, until it happens again and then everything is 2 frames off and so on until at the end it is 11 frames off.

And now for the stranger parts. The audio is fine. The tail pop is accurate to the sequence in the timeline so this is only effecting the picture portion. If I export a QT from the timeline it is accurate. If I put an overlay over the entire sequence and render the entire timeline then it plays back accurate.

We did upgrade last week. New Neeleham CPU, FCP7, etc. I still have some projects from the previous system, Harpertown CPU, FCP6. When I open those and put those to tape they are fine. This is only happening to new stuff.

These are all sequences that were imported via AutoDuck from Media Composer. The ones I'm having problems with were imported with the new config and batch digitized with the new config.

I have not reformatted my storage yet, but am working in that direction. Backing up 9TB of material before I do. vTrak FC connected. Atto 44ES.

I still need to try some different codecs, and stuff, but right now I'm just trying to get back on schedule. I'll post again as I find out more.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jay Mahavier

Return to posts index

Luke Asa Guidici
Re: added frames during Edit to Tape
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:40:25 pm

Jay,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I've been having the same troubles.

-Luke

...I'll cut you up good...

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:31:43 pm

Nope, still having the problem. My workaround is to put a graphic over the entire timeline and then reposition that graphic off screen. Then render the entire timeline as a single quicktime. Then I don't have the problem since where the frames get added is always at the head of a shot where the system stops reading one file and starts reading another file. One file, no problem.

But I think our real solution is going to be Smoke on a windows system. Already have it in, just need to get the time to get up to speed on it.

Jay

Return to posts index

Luke Asa Guidici
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:22:23 pm

Yeah, that's what I did too. I had to render out the entire feature - then it played out correctly.

Just out of curiosity - what sort of storage are you using? We are on a Facilis (shared SAN storage) here.

Have you been in touch w/ AJA of Apple? AJA hasn't been able to figure out the problem.

-Luke

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:59:10 pm

We are using a Promise Vtrak. Raid0, Dual Buss config. I did talk to AJA, but they had no answers. But I don't see where it would be their fault. It seems more like a Quicktime or Final Cut problem. Have not talked to Apple. But planning on move to Smoke.

Jay

Return to posts index

Luke Asa Guidici
on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:10:21 pm

I found via processing quicktimes through Cineform that the clips actually had HANDLES beyond what was logged in Final Cut Pro.

So the actually quicktime files contained more data than was specified to digitize. You couldn't see these frames in FCP or Quicktime - it was only after another program processed them that they appeared. This ONLY happened to clips digitized through Kona. If a render file was created, there would be no extra frames.

My though was that the problem originated with the original digitization.

-Luke

Return to posts index

Jay Mahavier
on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:26:28 pm

I know that happens too, but not having tired a card from a different vendor to see if the same thing happens with their card I can't say that it would be the fault of the Kona card. FCP is in control of the capture and from what I can tell it's just using QuitkTime to do the capture. I would be more suspecting of QuickTime being the culprit of capturing media beyond the specified range. If you use VTR Exchange that is from AJA then the QTs do not have the extra frames. So I really don't think that is the fault of the card.

Jay

Return to posts index

Luke Asa Guidici
on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:09:22 pm

ahhh interesting.

too bad you can't use VTR Exchange to batch digitize hundreds of clips... or can you?

-Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]