FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing My Experience - LHI vs BM DLS2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tours
Sharing My Experience - LHI vs BM DLS2
on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:45:26 pm

I recently changed from acquiring BetaCam SP via AJA IO LA for 18 months trouble free to using a Declink Studio card for the same purpose plus for downconverting my analog monitoring of DVCPRO HD projects captured from P2 files. Two different tasks for the same card all fell within the BM operating specs.

The first Decklink Studio card arrived without the HDMI bracket - apparently there was an upgrade to a Decklink Studio 2 at about the moment I ordered. Acceptable but regretable. Anyway I put it to work right away capturing Beta SP and I as I posted here at the time, I had moire throughout the saturated chroma areas on an average interior shoot. The artifacts were not present in YC or composite capture - neither meet out quality standards though - but made the analog component capture useless due to the moire. I must admit, I was less than impressed with support from BM, but B&H came thru and replaced the card, overnite, with a new Decklink Studio 2 card - now with HDMI ports.

I cannot say with certainty that this intallation caused my FCP 7.0.1 projects to become corrupt whilst open and in progress making saves and autosaves useless and the defect hidden until the next restart. But it happened and cost a lot of time and stress.

I remain very unimpressed with BM support.

However B&H came through and took it back and I purchased and AJA Kona LHI and my Mac Pro dual quad 2.88 feels like it's old self again and no more corrupt projects or sudden crashes and projects open in seconds, not minutes.

As I said in the beginning of this post, I cannot say for certain what the cause of my problems was. But the changes I made suggest a pattern that I thought other FCP editors should know about.

I remain unimpressed with BM support.

AJA on the other hand should win an award for theirs!

Just one editor's opinion.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sharing My Experience - LHI vs BM DLS2
on Jan 13, 2010 at 12:45:58 am

In general, most people have superior support experiences with AJA.
You will often see people whine on Creative Cow - "how come the AJA stuff costs more than this brand, or that brand". SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT. If you are a professional, you cannot afford to be down, and support is EVERYTHING. If you are an amateur, and having fun, and want to save a few bucks, then GET OFF CREATIVE COW, because this is a professional forum, for professionals that use this equipment to make a living.

With that said, I LOVE AJA equipment, but Blackmagic does have many wonderful products, like their routers, and Ultrascope. You don't see Blackmagic making an AJA FS1 or AJA KiPro, and you dont' see AJA making the Ultrascope.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]