FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anybody able to upconvert to DVCPro HD with Kona 3?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Anybody able to upconvert to DVCPro HD with Kona 3?
on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:30:01 pm

Been trying to two days now to capture 1 hour of DV footage upconverted to DVCPro HD via the AJA Kona 3 and it's not working.

I get one of two things.

640x480 clips that are badly distorted, instead of the usual 960x720 I would expect when upconverting to DVCPro HD 720p.

I get files that "are not a quicktime movie and cannot be played."

this has actually been an ongoing problem with the Kona 3 on our end for a while now but usually if we get one of those 640x480 captures, we just capture again and it's normal. Now I can't get it to work at all with the latest 7.1 Kona drivers running Mac OS 10.5.8.

ProRes works just fine, but the majority of the footage in this project is P2 DVCPro HD so I'm just trying to make it easy and stay in DVCPro HD all the way through.

Anyone else able to upconvert SD to DVCPro HD correctly using the Kona 3?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anybody able to upconvert to DVCPro HD with Kona 3?
on Jan 10, 2010 at 4:46:31 am

[walter biscardi] "Anyone else able to upconvert SD to DVCPro HD correctly using the Kona 3"

SD? Yes. I have done beta and digibeta to 720p60, then convert to 23.98 via compress. That is exactly what I did when I did that Kona 3 upconvert article. But I didn't upconvert DV...only beta and digibeta. I can do some tests on Monday (if we have a deck with SDI out) to see what happens.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 11, 2010 at 10:51:29 pm

I tested this and was able to capture DV to DVCPro HD 720P (59.94) I used a Sony DSR-1500 with component output. File written was 960x720. Our Kona driver is 7.1 NDD.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

dan luke
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:11:07 am

I use my dvcpro 1200 deck and a kona LHi to upconvert dvcam all the time, works great.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 12, 2010 at 3:04:22 pm

I did a test capture from our Sony DSR-1500 via SDI (we don't have an analog converter), to DVCPRO HD 720p60...and to 1080i60. Both came in fine.

Odd issue Walter. I also never had those half resolution capture issues that you have had. We capture over 30 tapes a week, HDV to ProRes 1080i.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 12, 2010 at 3:20:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "I did a test capture from our Sony DSR-1500 via SDI (we don't have an analog converter), to DVCPRO HD 720p60...and to 1080i60. Both came in fine."

Just did more captures here and we're still getting 640x480 with the latest suggestions from AJA. Not really sure what's going on, but as I said, it's been a continuing issue for us for quite some time now.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:10:04 pm

I know this sounds elementary, but have you uninstalled the AJA drivers, reset your permissions, deleted your prefs and reinstalled. I ask because I saw a similar issue with XDCAM and this procedure solved my issues.

Make sure that you fully uninstall the AJA software.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:23:03 pm

[Wayne Carey] "I know this sounds elementary, but have you uninstalled the AJA drivers, reset your permissions, deleted your prefs and reinstalled. I ask because I saw a similar issue with XDCAM and this procedure solved my issues.

Make sure that you fully uninstall the AJA software."

Quite honestly, no. I did this procedure a few weeks ago when we installed the 7.1 NDD drivers, but I have not done it a second time. Will try that tonight after the suite is done for the day.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]