FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja FS1

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Aja FS1
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:55:11 am

Hey, there is no AJA FS1 forum, so what do you want !

The AJA FS1 is the perfect front end to the AVID Mojo DX product, that has SDI or HD-SDI only inputs (single input). Putting an FS1 on the front end is a LOT cheaper than buying a Nitris DX, and with the web interface, you don't even have to push a button - everything is menu driven. Even if you can't use a Kona LHi on an AVID product, the FS1 is the next best thing.

Bob Zelin

ps - when I posted this, I got a warning saying "do not use all caps in the subject line - kind of tough to do with AJA FS1

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Aja FS1
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:21:46 pm

yeah, just a way to keep people from yelling, but that is not something that you ever do. :-)

always get a kick out of your posts, keep up the work of keep us on the straight and narrow.

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:10:19 pm

I use the FS1 a lot, it's one of my favorite tv products out there. However, in the context of my usage of the device as frame syncs in remote production trucks, I hate the web interface. I typically have no room for my own laptop much less a frame sync remote laptop and I've been in only one tv truck where they even thought to provide that laptop web interface for remote contol. I really wish Aja would create a 1 RU hardware remote panel to control multiple FS1's easily and efficiently. I also wish I had a reason to have a FS1 in my house.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:37:16 pm

Craig,
I am old, and from your post, I gather that you are no youngster. When I first started seeing all these "use a PC or MAC as your interface", I too said "but there is no room for an entire PC for this.

Well, I was wrong, and short sited. Today, EVERYTHING - the FS1, Edit systems, converters, routers, EVERYTHING is controlled via ethernet and a single PC or MAC web GUI. So you don't have "all this stuff" - you just have one keyboard, one mouse, one display - and NO CONTROL PANELS - and you just change your address to get to any of these products - including the FS1, and Routers, and everything else. You don't even need a KVM.

The world changes (but I just want to push a button).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:38:06 pm

grin

In all newer OB's the OB's chief vision engineer has it's own place with control of everything on just one PC (and of coarse a backup).
if it's a SPG all the GLUE the mixer or the router, it's controlled on 1 workstation.
Even our smallest mickey mouse OBvan (just 6camerea and 4 VTR's) has a central PC controlling everything. mostly all FS's are racked on top of each other or at least in each other neighbourhood. what better overview can you get.(never forget your white tape and sharpie) and for fast panic action you will always change the wrong FS on a remote because your colleague had just checked something on a other one which you screw up right away. ;-)

by the way in a OB i would never use a bulky unit like this for ALL framesynchronising or format conversion. you can press 36 framesynchronizer's/standard convertors in 4RU these day's.
although a few for the more exotic's feed's are alway's nice.

a better thing in OB design is administration tools or integration tools that make you organize a OB. controlling thing's is one but knowing where signals are flowing is two. hardware remote's will not help IMO.

this sound's like i don't like these kind of product's but that's not true i love them but you have to use them for the right propose. which is interfacing the unforeseen

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:00:38 am

I don't design these blasted trucks I sit in, I just shade cameras and have to interface with the equipment that is provided. I'll let you tell the bean counters why it's better to spend drastically more money on a rack chassis full of Ensemble Designs' or Evertz or even Aja frame syncs. The FS1 is cheap and it works well so therefore they are purchased and it's what I have to use at times.

I don't have time to go hunting through a web interface remote when I have a big dog and pony show, hardware remotes are easy, as an example, the fortel FCP503 by Pesa.

Just my opinions about the device. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:11:18 am

Hey Craig

There is a VideoFrame hardware controller for the FS-1 being worked on right now, stay posted:

http://www.videoframesystems.com/products/Product%20News.htm

And Maurice, in case you weren't aware, AJA do have a range of rack cards and frames:

http://www.aja.com/products/rackmount/

Best regards

Matty Causon

Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:48:47 am

point taken ;-)
I did not want to offend you.

but will these bean counter's invest in a remote ??
next to that.
but this is just an opinion.
in a medium sizedtruck say less then 12 camera's. (this is where often one the racking shaders also has to do engineering task's)
Will the amount off FS1's grow bigger then 4??? And do you want towaste 1RU of rackspace in the working area (your working area) to control 4RU which al ready has a not to bad user interface??? and is near to you.

i guess when the amount grow bigger then 4 or so in such a situation. you really have to see through your workflow.

don't get me wrong i do like these boxes, and like you i do like hands on remote's but the wallet is often in charge

grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Jan 8, 2010 at 12:37:52 pm

I getcha Maurice

No offence was taken at all (apologies if I came over that way, late night postings), just making sure folks know what offerings AJA have.

Best regards

Matty Causon
Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]