FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for a stable setup with Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caine Mitchell
Advice for a stable setup with Kona 3
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:48:21 am

Hello

I am looking to reformat my machine and perform a clean reinstall of all of my software including Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe After Effects 8 [from CS3], and my Kona 3 card. I am currently running Mac OSX Leopard version 10.5.8 but as part of the reinstall will look to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Can you advise me on what versions of the above software [including Mac OS] are tending to be most stable presently with the Kona 3, and any particular updates you could suggest I should or should not install yet? I essentially want to achieve the most stable system I can with the card and the key apps noted above.

As an aside I will look to create a clone or clone systems on the one machine as I read recently a post by Jerry Hoffman on apples FCP forum whereby he mentioned he had a partition / clone as a working system, and partition / clone as a backup system, and I think even a partition / clone to test new software updates before applying these to his working system. What would be a good suggestion on approaching this kind of setup with a Kona 3 and what might the implications be in your opinions?

BTW my machine setup currently is as follows:
2 x 3.2 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM
OS X 10.5.8
FCP 6.0.6
Kona 3 [unsure of software version]

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Advice for a stable setup with Kona 3
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:04:45 am

The latest versions are the "stable" versions. The only way to do this without losing your mind, is to purchase an additional internal SATA drive for your MAC ("but I don't want to spend $55 for another 500 Gig SATA drive"), and do a nice clean install on a new 500 Gig SATA drive, with OS-X 10.6.2, a clean install of FCP, and your new NDD AJA Kona 3 drivers from the AJA website. Nice and stable, and you dont' sacrifice your existing installation, and working drive.

Now, lets get back to "but I dont' want to spend $55 for another 500 Gig SATA drive". OH YES YOU WILL. You will spend this money. I have spoken. Now do it.

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_Kona3_NDD_7.1.zip

this is the driver from AJA that you want to use.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Caine Mitchell
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:30:50 am

Sounds good to me Bob, thanks for reply.

I have no problem with purchasing a new SATA HD 500GB or 1TB, I currently have 4 internal SATA HDs, please see below:
Bay 1. 1TB System HD
Bay 2. 1TB System HD BUP using Time Machine
Bay 3. 750 GB Recently Completed Projects Archival HD [a second copy of these is transferred to external HDs also]
Bay 4. 1TB Stock and Current Projects HD [contains all stock video, audio, graphic assets etc, plus current HDV format and other current "offline" level projects]

In your opinion should I keep the Time Machine BUP happening with the drive in Bay 2, transfer a copy of all the media from Bay 3 drive to an new external hard drive, purchase a new say 750 GB / 1 TB SATA HD for Bay 3 and then load up a new Snow Leopard etc second system as you suggest on this drive, and of course then leave Bay 4 as is?

Mitch

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:06:03 am

your setup is like no one elses. I don't know anyone using time machine. Your media drives should be external ( I know that you are using external backup). I have no opinion for you on this, other than to tear out one of those drives (and stick it into an external SATA enclosure like a Wiebetech), and put in your new drive, and install OS_X 10.6.2, and FCP and AJA Kona 7.1NDD.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:10:42 am

I think I would move the timemachine drive to an external enclosure. That way if the computer breaks down you can take the disk to another computer without the hassle of getting it out, getting a external enclosure and then get to the other computer.

On a side note. What I am going to start to do on my own system is partition my system drive into 2 equal size partitions and have the system on that and a clone which I can use to try out updates etc. Then have my user account on a separate drive. If you right click on the user in system preferences-accounts you can tell os x to have the users home on another location. If you create your "edit" user as the first user on both installs you should be able to point to the same home folder and have your home available on both installs. And it really helps with "re-cloning" the clone back to a working configuration as all you're cloning is the system and applications. Unless you have other users on it of course.

My 2-bits

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]