FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe downconvert sync with Gen 10

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bishop
Kona LHe downconvert sync with Gen 10
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:29:54 pm

Hello there, I am downconverting a 1080 23.98psf sequence from the FCP 7.01 to a DVW 500. I wanted to go over the wiring of the Gen 10 as I can't seem to get it to work properly and I have been search for the answers but can't find them.

So here is the overview.

1. As the FCP sequence is 1080 23.976psf I have switched the Gen 10 to tri level sync (5-6) and adjusted the dip switches to match my FCP HD sequence. I have switched the control panel to reference in and I see the timecode matching my playback timecode as I patched it to the reference loop on the BOB.

2. From output 1 on the Gen10 I have set the sync to SD and patched that into the reference video input on the DVW 500. I have switched on the Dbeta the out ref option. I have not down anything with any internal menu on the DVW 500. Timecode is set to Reg/Int and the tape is pre-stripped.

3. The downconvert is happening through the Kona and the image is littered with droppout to the Dbeta. If I pull the reference input and switched the deck to ref in - video in then the image works fine but I am not utilizing the Gen 10 so clearly something is wrong.

I have tried keeping the sync to 525 29.97 for everything and looping the sync from the Kona to the DVW 500 but the results were not positive.

So if anyone has any helpful suggestions that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
Re: Kona LHe downconvert sync with Gen 10
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:46:26 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but if you look at the dip switches on the GEN10, they will read, 6, 7, 8. If you look at the manual, they will instruct you to set them as 8, 7, 6. Make sure you switches aren't backwards.

Return to posts index

Matt Bishop
on Dec 15, 2009 at 9:20:43 pm

Thanks Duke, I didn't notice that in the manual but it does show me the frame rate as 23.976psf in the control panel or 525 29.97 if I patch in the SD side of things. So I think the setting are correct.

Do you a Gen 10, if so do you have your Gen 10 match your timeline setting or the setting of the record VTR?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:11:39 pm

Mr. Bishop,

I use a GEN10. I would have the GEN10 feeding HD 23.976PsF reference to your Kona LHe. The Gen 10 should only have either 1 or 2 set to ON, and 6 set to ON. All the rest of the dip switches should be set to off. Whatever dip switch for 1 or 2 you have on should be feeding your SD deck reference. The rest of the downconversion should be happening through your AJA Control Panel.

Our DVW A500 is set like this:

Out Ref: REF
TC Gen: Internal & Preset

I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:18:20 pm

Duke -
stop right now. Forget the GEN10 tri level sync settings. These setting will not help you.

Change your AJA Kona playback output to 29.97. You are going to DOWNCONVERT your AJA Kona Control Panel from 1080i 23.98 to 525 NTSC (in the control panel secondary in the FORMAT TAB) and select the DIGITAL TAB to choose SECONDARY (so it uses the 525 signal).

In your FCP system, in Audio/Video settings, under the playback tab, you will choose 1080i 29.97 (NOT 23.98!). Simply use NTSC black (not tri level) to lock the AJA Kona and the DVW-500 (with nice normal NTSC black), and everyone will be happy, and there will be no issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Bishop
on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:40:27 pm

Question for you Bob, by switching the playback to 1080i 29.97 doesn't that mean the 3:2 conversion is now handled by FCP and not the Kona. The good folks at AJA suggesting keeping the playback at 108023.98 psf but I will try that method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]