FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Crashes with AJA Video Ouput Plug-In error

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
FCP Crashes with AJA Video Ouput Plug-In error
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:43:40 pm

Been getting more and more of these crashes over the last month and updating to the 7.1 AJA driver did not fix this.

FCP simply quits by disappearing off the desktop with an error message that the crash was caused by a problem with the AJA Video Output Plug-In. AJA told me the 7.1 driver would fix this, but it has not. Anyone else seeing this?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
Re: FCP Crashes with AJA Video Ouput Plug-In error
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:50:28 pm

Yes, we have. Multiple users in multiple rooms. We've been working on the problem with AJA and Apple engineers as well as our engineers here at Turner. Unfortunately, we've had many, widely varied problems since upgrading to FCS3. At one point we upgraded our Kona drivers (to 7.1, I believe) and the problems worsened (as did non-accurate edits-to-tape) so we reverted.

It seems to occur most often with ProRes 422 HQ 23.98 media. The project that it was happening with is huge, leading to other lay-off problems (dropped frames) and was originally started in FCS2.

I posted on the Cow at some point, but It might have been in reference to the "green flashes" which sometimes precede the AJA error crash. Have you seen the green (and pink) flashing? Or that particular post?

So the bottom line is that we have no answer right at the moment. but we're working on it. Too many variables. I will tak to the other editors and see if we can't summarize what we've tried so far, and I'll post back - with something useful.

You're not alone...

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.7
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 Quicktime 7.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:04:30 pm

Myron (the other editor on this project) just reminded me that we switched our playback only to 8 bit (playing back the HQ media) and that helped. He also said:

"With the AJA 7.1 driver I'd make sure to NOT be in the default 64bit mode. We downgraded to 32bit which helped a little. Also switching to 8bit video output sometimes helps. I'll try to think of more."

So, that's what we did in terms of reverting the drivers.

Here's some info on the "green flashes":

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1063066#1063082

This is a thread that was specifically related to XDCAM and the green flashes and I cite another thread in this one. Honestly, I can't remember which crashes reported the AJA plug-in, and which ones reported "quit unexpectedly".

The project is over now, so we'er hoping to have a chance to do some actual troubleshooting.

Dan Monro
Mac OS X 10.5.7
- OR -
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 9, 2009 at 11:56:37 pm

The green flashes and 1/2 resolution captures have been around with ProRes HQ since that codec was introduced. As Gary Adcock has posted in numerous threads, the HQ codec is really intended for frame sizes larger than 1920, yet folks insist on using it for 1080 projects.

We only work with the standard ProRes codec. So far my FCP system has blown up twice today with the AJA Output error. It's only happening on the very latest Mac Pro machine which seems to be a lemon from Apple. They have issues with the Hartwell chips that run the Ethernet ports and now the Kona is having all sorts of issues in that machine as well.

Looks like Apple released this machine well before it was ready for prime time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:40:25 am

Yes. We found out too late that we weren't gaining anything by using HQ - with the exception of some RED 2k material that we round-tripped to Color. Again, the project went on too long, and involved way too much footage to re-capture. I'm anxious to see if it happens again with the Standard codec.

My boss says that currently the ball is in AJA's court; we've done what trouble shooting we can, and all fingers point to the AJA. I'll pass along the specifics of the issues you're having. We had it on 2 machines mainly, neither of which are the latest or greatest. But it sounds like it could be the interface between the Kona and the Mac.

Sounds like you need to return that one.
D

Dan Monro
Mac OS X 10.5.7
- OR -
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:01:57 am

[Dan Monro] "I'll pass along the specifics of the issues you're having."

I've been in touch with AJA during this too, I would just trying to find out if anyone else was seeing this. The new Nehelam Mac Pro has been nothing but problems between the AJA Kona and the Hartwell Ethernet chips screwing with our ethernet SAN. Waste of money so far.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:52:18 pm

Same crashing problems, not as much on FCP ( still using 6.0.6 ) but AJA TV and VTR Exchange became very unreliable. I personally have an IO HD with the 7.1 drivers and Snow Leopard, but the crash reports are related to the AJA output as well.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Apple Mac Pro Octo 2.93 a lemon?
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:33:02 am

I was informed today by a vendor that Apple quietly updated their Mac Pros last Friday and the Octo 2.93 is now gone. That's the machine causing all the issues since I purchased it in July. Leads me to believe Apple is aware of serious issues with the machine and have pulled it from the market.

Will be making phone calls tomorrow for sure....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Apple Mac Pro Octo 2.93 a lemon?
on Dec 11, 2009 at 6:50:07 am

[walter biscardi] " the machine and have pulled it from the market."

Still available on there site shipping in 2-4 business days. Are they pulling them from vendor supply?

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html

TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:45:08 pm

[Warren Eig] "Still available on there site shipping in 2-4 business days. Are they pulling them from vendor supply?"

As an update, the machine is still available as an optional upgrade. It's just not there on the main page now.

Still making phone calls to follow up on the "new specs" inside the machine and see what that is all about. This 2.93 has behaved in ways I have never seen a Mac desktop behave.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:18:26 pm

Ok further update.

As noted earlier, the 2.93 is still available.

Apple has added a 3.33 option.

The Intel Hartwell Chip that was introduced with the Octo 2.93 machine to drive the on-board Ethernet ports is now EOL. This is the chip that is causing the bulk of the problems for us in the edit suite.

More details to follow.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Dec 13, 2009 at 6:39:11 am

I am so glad I went with the "Matrox solution" on my new Nehalem 2.93.
No problems whatsoever with 10.6.2 and latest FCS apps.
G-Speed Snow leopard drivers also rock solid, even enabling FCP and PrPRo CS4 to co-exist and work in tandem!

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Dec 15, 2009 at 4:36:29 pm

Ouch.....

I think we are laying on the floor bleeding after that post...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Fred Connors Jr.
Re: Apple Mac Pro Octo 2.93 lemons?
on Dec 13, 2009 at 4:02:10 pm

Walter

Are you using the two ethernet ports bonded together to get improved network speed?

If so, this is most likely the cause of your issues, this is a known problem with the current generation of high end Intel processors with built in ethernet control. Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors.

Disable the bonded ethernet, run with just a single connection and see if that helps.

The Troupe - Modern Media Design & Production

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Dec 15, 2009 at 4:31:54 pm

No entirely true, Walter.

We are using two Mac Pro systems, one is the first generation Quad core and I'm on a 2007 Octo Core setup. We se the exact same error as you.

But let me add to this....

When you use a ProRes Easy Setup and you view any other media that is not ProRes, you'll get a screen of noise when played. When you stop playing the video, you'll get a proper freeze frame of the video - it looks correct, but play it, you'll just get colored noise.

This is because ProRes is setup to view in 10-bit. This is true for ALL of the ProRes settings. I may be wrong about this, but I thought that ProRes 422 was 8-bit and ProRes422 HQ was 10-bit. Is this correct?
Besides this, we have an older G5 that can play ProRes and DVCProHD without this issue and I remember I was able to do this with the 6.0 driver. After the 6.5 and 7.1 drivers came out, I was no longer able to watch DVCProHD media while having a ProRes Easy Setup.

Anybody concur on this?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:57:02 pm

I too am having this very same issue on a 2007 8 core mac pro. It doesn't limit itself to just pro res projects. It happens in AVC Intra projects, and EX1 Projects too.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:36:28 pm

Were getting it too on all Kona Macs - Quads and Octos (Blackmagics are fine)

Especially on Edit to tape - we get green flashes and Output crashes running 7 and 7.1 with the 7.1 kona drivers.

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:42:41 pm

Looks like a pattern is emerging here...

Mine is much much better after a complete reinstall and cleanup but I still see it on occasions.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Doug Nichol
on Jan 16, 2010 at 1:55:46 am

I'm having the same issues - periodic green flashes and also FCP7 crashing while playing back sequences. I had similar issues a few months ago and then they went away after a complete new install (Snow Leopard & FCP7). My system was running perfectly until this week when I did a software update to 10.6.2 and installed the pro app update as well. Now it's a nightmare - crashing every 10-15 mins while in playback of a sequence. I'm working in Pro Res 23.98 - AJA Kona 3 - Promise Raid
Let me know if anyone figures out an answer - I did the usual trashing of prefs, but no help there. I don't want to spend hours re-installing everything. I guess when your system works the last thing you should ever do is a software update...

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 16, 2010 at 2:53:32 am

Sorry to hear about your problem you are facing but there is a little lesson here. Drives are cheap and easy to install. You need to clone your system drive before making ANY updates, no matter how insignificant they may seem. If a problem does arise, just boot to the clone drive and clone back to your main system drive.

On another note, I'm still using Leopard and I'm having issues with this too but not near as much as you.

My new issue is my timelines becoming fully unrendered when I start my Mac in the morning or changing projects. This has happened every single time in the past week, even after performing the usual maintaInance.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Rob Travis
on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:25:04 pm

Hey guys did you ever figure anything out with this? I'm having issues with 7.5.1 drivers and unrendered Motion files in my timeline. If I scrub a bit the land on one it will crash. If I turn off the AJA output it's fine. Did anyone ever hear back from AJA?

Return to posts index

Dana Strom
on Nov 17, 2010 at 9:41:02 pm

We've been experiencing some strange behavior on our system; we're having a terrible playback issue that seems to coincide mostly with "green bars" unrendered preview segments. Here's an example of the playback issue;

http://gallery.me.com/danajstrom#100040/FCP%20Flicker%20Problem

This generally leads to a crash citing AJA Video Output Codec Plug-In as the problem... not sure if it's related, but we also get a LOT of "Out of Memory" errors on renders.

We're on a brand new 12-core Mac Pro with a Kona 3 card and an 8TB sata RAID array.

Return to posts index

Fitra Oyon
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:50:54 am

Hi there,

Here are some suggestions:

1) Make sure FCP has been upgraded to v7.0.3. Apple fixed a memory
management (leak) issue in the last update. Also install the v8 Kona driver.
2) Temporarily remove any third-party FCP plug-ins other than AJA from:
/library/application support/FCP system support/plug-ins.
3) Remove any third-party quicktime components other than AJA from:
/library/quicktime/.
4) If RAM was recently upgraded then temporarily uninstall and see if
problem is cleared.
5) Delete the Kona preferences:
a) Go to: /library/preferences/ and delete all the com.aja.* files.
b) Go to: /users/username/library/preferences/ and delete
com.aja.KonaControlPanel.plist
c) Reboot.

Please stay in touch.

Best regard
Fitra

Return to posts index

Fitra Andriansyah
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:12:57 am

hi all,
sory for my some suggestions.

im not sure it can fixed the problem. so don't try it
im sorry all

thanx
regard

Return to posts index

Nate McNeil
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:36:58 pm

Having the same issue with the crash message. Using quads, and I've tried the AjA bundle on 7.1, 7.5, and 8. Happens every time I use Log and Transfer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]