FORUMS: list search recent posts

Up Down cross conversion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Moffat
Up Down cross conversion
on Dec 6, 2009 at 3:38:33 pm

Hi, sorry if this is an idiotic question, I'm more on the creative end having to adapt...

When looking at down-conversion, up-conversion, cross-conversion, is this converted to a deck via the card, or to a file on a RAID? I have looked at the tables and it it seems to be SDI-out based which seems to mean that a deck is required for this operation, or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks

Jason

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Up Down cross conversion
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:00:30 pm

Up / Down / Cross conversions are handled by the card both during Ingest and Output.

The conversions are available to all video outputs, SDI, Component and HDMI. A VTR is not required for conversion, only the card.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:05:36 pm

Aha, so basically and SDI cable goes from SDI-out to SDI-in and the result stored on the RAID?

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:07:52 pm

I should ave been more distinct with post, it's if I wanted to actually save the output, not just view it, so instead of handling the conversion via compressor

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:14:27 pm

[Jay Moffat] "Aha, so basically and SDI cable goes from SDI-out to SDI-in and the result stored on the RAID?"

No. You would do the conversion during ingest if you want to save the result to a RAID.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:28:50 pm

Oh, I thought conversions would be something to do with, a final grade for example, when that grade is required in HD and SD, the conversion is handled via the card, rather than a conversion via compressor, I'm think I'm misunderstanding the use of conversions via the capture card.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:36:06 pm

[Jay Moffat] "when that grade is required in HD and SD, the conversion is handled via the card, rather than a conversion via compressor,"

Nope. In that case I grade for HD and then downconvert the entire timeline to SD during Master to Tape or when viewing playback on a monitor.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:41:40 pm

Thanks, it's kind of what I thought, in my case it's fine for monitoring the result on my SD monitor, but I don't have a deck (well that can be hired in as and when), but if SD and HD QuickTime versions were required, it would need to be done internally on the machine, is the correct?

Thanks for your help as always

J

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:53:42 pm

[Jay Moffat] "but if SD and HD QuickTime versions were required, it would need to be done internally on the machine, is the correct?"

In our case we'll do one of two things.

Play out the HD timeline into another of our Kona systems and have it do the downconvert in realtime.

Play out the HD timeline to one of our HD decks and then re-capture the material to SD letting the Kona do the downconversion.

Then we have both an HD quicktime and an SD quicktime and in both cases, the Kona does a superior job of downconversion to any software I've tried on a Mac.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:57:09 pm

Makes perfect sense, thanks, I suspect an HD deck is not pocket-change..

Now get back to your weekend!

J

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 6, 2009 at 4:58:43 pm

[Jay Moffat] "Makes perfect sense, thanks, I suspect an HD deck is not pocket-change.."

Panasonic AJ-HD1400 is about as affordable as they get for a good quality HD deck. We're fortunate to have two of them in-house. Have a great weekend Jay.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Dec 6, 2009 at 5:04:25 pm

Yup, that kind of affordable is sadly out of my range, it's not too much of a hassel getting it done at a facility around here though thankfully..

Does make me think that the Kona 3 might be a bit overkill for me, although 2k is a possibility and I'm not sure the BMD HD Extreme cuts it on the balance of accounts...anyhoo!

J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]