FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring split audio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Monitoring split audio
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:23:34 am

OK...scenario...

I have a show that has 9 tracks of audio. SPLIT tracks. 1&2 are a stereo pair, 3&4 are Mix-Music, 5&6 are music only, 7 is mono SFX, 8 is mono interview, 9 is mono narration. I set my sequence to output 10 tracks of audio, instead of the normal 2 channels, but going into the sequence settings, audio output tab and making 10 tracks. I then map all the audio to their separate tracks on the timeline. All is well and good.

BUT...

I want to hear only tracks 5&6, the music. But I can't...FCP is only outputting the stereo mix, CH1&2, out of the timeline and Kona card (via the RCA connections). Sure, I can plug in headphones on my deck and monitor only those channels there, but lets assume my deck is in a machine room, 40 yards away. Now what?

There is XLR audio on the K3 box...but it only goes up to 7/8. What if I have 24 tracks and want to listen only to 12-18?

Thanks,

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: Monitoring split audio
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:48:40 am

Aja control panel -> analog tag -> there's a switch to tell the Kona RCA outputs what channels to monitor.

that what you need?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:51:55 am

Ooooo....YES. Darn near! Well, it monitors audio 1-8...THAT IS IT.

BUT...what if I have audio on 9 I want to hear only? or 12?

But nail on the head otherwise. Thanks.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jason Huxley
on Dec 5, 2009 at 11:08:54 pm

Have you tried the audio output settings in the sequence settings? Also right clicking or control clicking on the audio controls (hover near the lock button on the individual audio channels in the sequence) in the FCP sequence allows you to route that specific channel of audio to your desired audio output.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:06:08 am

Yes, Jason, I know about that. THAT is the root of the issue. I first go to the sequence settings, audio output tab and choose 10 tracks of audio. Then I right-click near the audio tabs and map those to the tracks (1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, and so on) The problem is that when I do that, I cannot hear the audio on 7&8...unless, as pointed out by Aaron, I tell the Kona CP what channels to monitor. This works for CH1-8...so there is that. But if I want to monitor 9-10... Then I have to do this through the deck.

The Avid cards had 8 audio outputs, so I could connect all 8 to a mixer. They too had the 8-channel limit.

Shane

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:56:12 pm

How about a REALLY long headphone cable running from the machine room to the edit bay :)

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:35:10 pm

Am I missing something? Can you not just mute out the tracks you don't want to hear and then downmix?
Joey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:42:19 pm

Try it. Do what I do by making 10 channel output, map all the audio to their separate channels and then mute the rest. See what happens.

Silence.

Unless you change the monitoring in the Kona CP...but then that only works for channels 1-8. Have stuff on 9-20...SOL.

Shane

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:48:47 pm

Yeah I have to deal with this a lot. Either I downmix my audio and mute 1 side of a stereo pair so I get a correct sense of levels, or I temporarily set the output of the channel to 1-4 so I can hear it.
Joey

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:39:19 pm

Kona 3
control panel> map up to 15,16 to 1,2
PCI Bit file: 2008/10/01 09:24:40

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN