FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and Kona and "timeline cursor" problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
FCP 7 and Kona and "timeline cursor" problem
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:05:17 am

Hi -
I bitched about this in the Matrox forum about 2 months ago, and blamed Matrox, but today, for the first time, I saw this, and could not believe it.

new MAC Pro octo core, FCP 7, OS-X 10.6.2, Kona 3. Playback ProRes422HQ. Everything works fine. Put the mouse in the timeline and scroll around (expand, etc.) while playing back, and you get dropped frame errors. Use the same drive on FCP 6, 10.5.8, and no problems. Why ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCP 7 and Kona and "timeline cursor" problem
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:57:14 am

I've always gotten this on all versions of FCP on all manner of arrays and Macs. Sometimes I can expand and scroll no problems, other times, dropped frames.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:49:26 pm

Either wait for all the audio waveforms to redraw or turn them off altogether?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:48:10 pm

Resist the temptation to scroll?

No, the issue is with what Jeremy said, the waveforms redrawing, and with the thumbnails on the video. If you have that option turned on, then when you look at the timeline, you see a picture on each clip. When FCP has to draw those pictures, or the audio waveforms, while playing back...that's too much for the poor computer and it throws it's arms up in disgust and stops playback...then sits in the corner sulking. Turn OFF the thumbnail and waveform and you can do this all day long!

I figured this out a couple years back... didn't think about telling anyone, and I don't know why. Some small discovery that made me go "huh" and I just moved on. Figured other people knew, and I finally figured it out.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Don Wilson
on Dec 5, 2009 at 7:09:52 am

I have always gotten this error regardless of the version. I've found that with long or complex timelines, no waveforms or thumbnails but large V1 and V2 track view this happens. I have always believed that the processors and GFX card spike momentarily and I now believe that to be true. Watch the Activity monitor in the CPU setting. It is does not appear to go over the limit but FCP does what it does because it wants to...the true meaning of a love hate relationship.

How's the weather in Fla. Bob? How bout' my Saints....Who Dat!!

Don

Don Wilson
donwilson.tv
AmericanaMediaInc.com
MississippiSon.com
818.660.2915 studio
818.207.6924 cell
818.760.1828 fax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]