Which is the best way of up-converter?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kane Ru
Which is the best way of up-converter?
on Nov 28, 2009 at 7:23:01 pm

Hi guys
please forgive my poor english first.
i wanna upconverter my sd Digital Beatcam tapes to HD quality.
1.SONY HDW M2000P→HARDWARE UPCONVERSION→another HDCAM RECORD
2.SONY JH3 PLAYBACK→AJA FS1 UPCONVERSION→Another HDCAM MACHINE RECORD
3.I capture the tapes to 10bit uncompressoed files→SOFTWARE UPCONVERSION→OUTPUT TO HDCAM RECORD

I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY IS THE BEST OF UPCONVERTER...
ANYONE KNOWS?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Which is the best way of up-converter?
on Nov 28, 2009 at 8:00:12 pm

We use the AJA Kona 3 to upconvert DigiBeta directly from our J3 Playback machine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 28, 2009 at 8:57:06 pm

For a stand alone converter, the FS1 is the correct choice.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 30, 2009 at 2:29:52 am

The BEST way wasn't listed...Terranex hardware upconvert. But of those listed, Bob's right, the FS1 is the best way. But I am like Walter, I use the Kona 3, and also the Matrox MXO2, to do upconverts as I input.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Oakley
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:25:36 pm

the MXO2 series products make very nice SD upconverts. in fact I had captured some SD material into HD without realizing it, until I went to place it in the FCP TL and it was already the right size :) it looked really good for realtime.

Steve Oakley
DP • Editor • VFX Artist
http://www.practicali.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:51:02 pm

Hello Steve and Shane

I've read that there are some limitations on the upconvert of the MXO2 (16x9 etc.) Andy Mees covers it here:

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=2375

Jon Thorn from AJA recently explained how AJA handles hardware upconvert:

'We have several ways to upconvert 4x3 content to 16x9 with our desktop products. (And Ki Pro).

For archival material that may not withstand full upscaling, you can elect to perform a pillarbox; I specifically mention archival because many broadcasters specify that the volume of upconverted footage that is pillarboxed be very limited.

We also offer an anamorphic upconvert which produces optimal results when moving from an SD to HD signal; for example, anamorphic SD footage from the Panasonic SDX900 camera can produce very nice results when viewed as HD.

We also offer a "split the difference" upconvert to 14x9 which can be suitable in situations where items in frame simply cannot be zoomed to fill the frame at 16x9. You don't see this all that much, but from time to time you do; I've seen it several times with sports footage for example and some television commercials.

Finally, we offer two 4x3 to filling of the full 16x9 frane options; zoom letterbox and zoom wide. Zoom letterbox may appear slightly distorted in most cases, while Zoom wide should appear as a faithful scaling up and filling of the frame without distortion.'

So whilst AJA are not keen to do feature comparisons (or any mudslinging) it might be good for Kane to know any differences that may exist specific to upscaling as his request is pretty specific.

BTW the hardware conversion on the FS-1 and Kona 3 are the same hi quality (and I think the LHi also). As you note Shane to go better you'd be in big $ territory, Terra or Snell.

Many thanks all

Matty Causon

Phosphor

EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]