FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best reference book for serious HD?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JC Boulay
Best reference book for serious HD?
on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:33:04 pm

Hi guys,

First post on this forum, as I usually hang in the audio stuff, but I've been reading you for a while now. Bit of background: Our audio post house has expanded its services into some simple video over the last few years. Nothing fancy, mostly duplication, broadcast distribution, uncompressed archiving, CC creation... After a frenzy of reading, we've got the SD things pretty much dialed. Now we're bringing in HD.

I wanted to ask you video geniuses what the best all-enclosing, nuts-and-bolts HD video reference book would be. Most of the books I find recommended are of the "How your cat can make an hit HD movie on your iMac!!!" type, which I hate. I'm looking for the HD video equivalent of my Benson and Watkinson audio engineering handbooks: dry, technical, exhaustive. Don't be tender with me, I'm pretty technically-literate.

Thanks in advance,

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Best reference book for serious HD?
on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:35:29 pm

Read your NLE manual.

Then read all the manuals for all of your video gear.

That should keep you busy ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Nov 24, 2009 at 1:40:34 pm

That's pretty much a description of my nights at home these days.

Sony sure know how to write a boring manual. Maybe the original Japanese is better?

Thanks for the suggestion, throw 'em at me if you have more.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:35:43 pm

The Author and Teacher, Peter Utz might have written an HD book before he retired. His previous books were just right for most people. Good at hopping between the technical stuff and the other world. His e- mail is something like, putz (at) att.net? You can look him up on the internet.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:21:01 pm

no matter how wonderful Mr. Utz is, this will not teach you how to work with an AJA Kona product.
And if you are an expert at AJA products, you will not be an expert at Blackmagic products, or MOTU, or Matrox. And if you become an expert at all 4 of these products, and Final Cut Pro, you will STILL not be an expert at all the different Sony VTR's, as they all have a different menu structure. And then, you will have to learn how to import P2 footage, and then XDCam EX footage, and then RED footage. And NONE of this will be in any book from Mr. Utz or anyone else.

Everyone - every expert on every list has to READ THE MANUALS of all of these pieces of equipment to learn how to use them. And yes, you will make lots of mistakes, and fight your way out of these mistakes Then you will learn, and be an expert. I recently got asked to assist in building a ASI/MPEG2 encode and decode system for a TV station. This involves equipment from Harris and Tandberg. I dont' even know what the letters ASI stand for - and I have been doing this for 30 years. So just like you, I will get the manuals of this equipement, and READ THEM, and make mistakes in the installation, and figure it out, suffering every step of the way. I am sick of reading new manuals, but this is part of the business, and it's NEVER going to stop. Digital and HD is not making things easier for video professionals, and the learning process will be the same as it always has. Open the damn manual, and read it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:49:04 pm

Yes

RTFM is always a wise thing to start with. ;-)
but for good background info you already mentioned a name
John Watkinson
i have a few books from him and some whitepapers.
the man is good but is going fast sometime's.
and expect you to be of some competence.
next to that i have video dymistified from Keith Jack
very good reference book
and start browsing to Tektronix they have very good whitepapers.
and Quantel and surge for their handbook this is a good glossary.

greet
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:47:44 pm

Amen. You make me want to print this out and stick it up on the fridge. This is the way I've learned anything I've ever learned, and the only surefire way to proceed in this business.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:37:19 pm

This is a little tongue in cheek but it tends to be true:
When not at work you tend to read and have the book, at work the manual. So wait, if you need a manual try going to a Hamfest and see if you can find one or one that`s similar. The same result for visiting TV stations. What I hate is when the manual is in the Library, the broken or unlearned equipment is on location, and the electricity and lighting crew doesn`t feel like going to location until there`s production activity. Recipe for doing things the slow way. Unfortunately it occured to me last night that it takes around 50 pieces of equipment to move latent vision, sound, and story from where it`s at to "between the headphones and behind the window". It`s no wonder that someone is going to call me today over a piece of gear and ask, "$700?" and my answer will be, "No, much too much." Not unless it`s glued on top of the seat of a 1923 Renault Model T or an International fire truck worth much more than it. Digital has made TV production go from easier than Radio to harder than Radio. Everywhere you have some analog equipment sucking it in you have to have an analog to digital converter next to it as well as a "cmos or bios" that tells a computer what it is, as well as a digital to analog converter to monitor or play it back. We know the rest. This stuff, especially the cmos, keeps us from easily building the endless equipment we need to get past the equipment storage. Try and find a piece of computer equipment that runs without software in an Operating System computer age. My Oscode Midi Box 2! Hi!

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:20:16 pm

Words of wisdom, Bob. That's basically how I developed my expertise in audio systems, so it's no big change, then. I've been reading manual after manual and setting up some video equipment obstacle courses for myself and learning plenty. The VTR manual has been assimilated, the Kona's is next and my girlfriend is starting to think I'm way too enthusiastic about this stuff.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I now have a good reading queue.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]