FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed HD storage aja kona LHE

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ayman abdel-basset
Uncompressed HD storage aja kona LHE
on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:50:34 pm

Hi,
In my company we captured 3hours uncompressed HD directly on external raid connected by firewire .
the result file was strobing dropping frames.

i think the problem is the connection of the raid..
what is the best solution for the uncompressed HD (8bit,10bit) storage?

best regards
Ayman

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Uncompressed HD storage aja kona LHE
on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:04:52 pm

[ayman abdel-basset] "i think the problem is the connection of the raid..
what is the best solution for the uncompressed HD (8bit,10bit) storage? "

Firewire is NOT fast enough storage for Uncompressed HD.
Uncompressed 1080 is over 165 megabytes a second, FW maxes out between 25/35 megabytes per second.

To handle uncompressed HD you need multiple drives attached via Sata, SAS, Fibre or SCSI on very speedy drives. I recommend looking at storage from a company like MaxxDigital, I use their EVO series in all my racks or others like Dulce, JMR or Gtech if your looking for smaller size volumes

While I do not believe it is yet available outside the US, I am very impressed with the HDPro2 from Caldigit I have tried my hardest to break it, and I have not been able to, the first Drive Unit from any company other than Maxx that I could not force a failure on in any way, shape or form.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

ayman abdel-basset
on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:52:51 pm

Fine,
But i forgot to add that in same time we were recording on ex raid..we defined another location in scratch disk to record on which is Islon server..
So both resulted QT had same prblm on same timecodes..
So if we assumed it is issue of firewire connection speed..
Then what is the matter regarding the islon server which connected through 1gb network..

Are you sure it is n't regarding the Kona LHE dealing with long time 3hrs Uncompressed 8bit capture?

Another thing makes me confused what does the 25/35 megabyte/sec of FW
And 165 for uncompressed means?
I guess it is something diffrent than the bandwidth right?..cuz bandwidth for HD uncompressed is 1.48 gb

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:37:25 pm

[ayman abdel-basset] "Another thing makes me confused what does the 25/35 megabyte/sec of FW And 165 for uncompressed means?"

This is how fast the data needs to move over the wire between your storage and your Mac.

No offense, but it sounds like you need some technical help in setting up a proper storage system. You should really look for someone who has experience setting up video editing systems to help you with this.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:44:51 pm

Arnie is correct. You need technical support from an engineer.
Your firewire drive is not fast enough to do what you want. If you have an Apple XServe RAID, you MUST test the speed of the XServe RAID with AJA System Test in your AJA Utilities folder. If it is not doing over 200Mb/sec, you will NOT be able to record uncompressed HD. The bandwidth for uncomrpessed HD is THEORETICALLY 118 Mb/sec, but for sustained performance, you need over 200Mb/sec. If your XServe RAID does not have "Cache Flushing" turned off, the XServe RAID will not work. This menu is in the advanced setup of the Xserve RAID.

No matter what drive you choose, you should use AJA System Test, as a test utility to see the speed of the disk drive you are using. A firewire drive may get 40Mb/sec. You need over 200Mb/sec to record uncompressed HD. I do not know how your Isolon is hooked up to your edit system, but if it is on a network, you can go to AJA Preferences in AJA Sysetm Test, and enable Network drive, and test your network speed. If you are not getting over 200Mb/sec, it will not work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

ayman abdel-basset
on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:36:35 pm

Thank you guys.
appreciated.

Ayman

Ayman Abdel-Basset
http://www.mbasset.com
Abu-Dhabi UAE

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:04:13 pm

Hello Ayman

I recommend you contact our distributor in UAE who I think would be able to help advise you:

MediaSys FZ-LLC (Distributor)

Bejoy George
Office 209, Building 10 Dubai Media City,
Dubai, - AE
http://www.mediasysdubai.com
bejoy@mediasysdubai.com
Ph: +97150-4545586
Fax: +9714-3908192

Best regards

Matty Causon
Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]