FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 2 Audio Hang

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Ramsbottom
Kona 2 Audio Hang
on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:03:19 pm

Did a quick CC archive search on Kona 2+audio, crash, hang and spin and a Google with same.

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Using a Kona 2 in a Dual 2.7ghz PowerMac G5. 10.4.11, 8GB last Kona drivers. Yea, I know I'm not exactly on the cutting edge here ;)

Can't seem to get the audio inputs working. Have a reliable mic plugged into the first XLR of the BOB, the Kona control panel settings are at default. When I open audio system preferences, audio input is set with the Kona as a default input device but no audio input is being detected on the System Preferences level meter.

When I switch to an alternative input (line, digital audio and a test with a USB mic) and then click back on the Kona card I get a spinning beach ball and a bad hang.

The bug reproduces reliably.

Force quit won't kill the process - nasty, haven't tried a SUDO kill on the thread yet. Can do a restart though.

Looked in the console log and cannot find a crash trace related to this.

Anyone have any thoughts. I'm a novice at using the Kona card and I expect there might be a couple of 'wiring' steps in the Kona control panel that I should be doing before then heading into System Preferences (if at all).

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Paul.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 2 Audio Hang
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:29:38 pm

Using a Kona 2 in a Dual 2.7ghz PowerMac G5. 10.4.11, 8GB last Kona drivers. Yea, I know I'm not exactly on the cutting edge here ;)

REPLY - I am so old and senile, I don't even remember what a Kona2 is - it's the Kona 3, but for PCI-X (the old MAC G5), right ?

Can't seem to get the audio inputs working. Have a reliable mic plugged into the first XLR of the BOB, the Kona control panel settings are at default. When I open audio system preferences, audio input is set with the Kona as a default input device but no audio input is being detected on the System Preferences level meter.

REPLY - OK, Mr. Altzhemimers responding here. The Kona 2 is a HD-SDI or SD-SDI input only. Those XLR's are AES/EBU digital audio only, NOT analog audio inputs. And even if they were analog audio inputs (which they are not - only the Kona LH series has analog XLR audio inputs), you CANNOT plug a low level microphone into a line level input - even if it is an analog input. A Mic is a -60dB signal at least - you need a PREAMP (like a mixer) to boost up the level. Even if you have a mixer or preamp to boost up your mic signal to line level (+4dBu), you aint' getting this singal into a digital AES/EBU XLR input - you need to convert your analog signal to AES/EBU. There are tons of mic preamps that are sold today with AES/EBU outputs on them.

Anyone have any thoughts. I'm a novice at using the Kona card and I expect there might be a couple of 'wiring' steps in the Kona control panel that I should be doing before then heading into System Preferences (if at all).

REPLY - these last few paragraphs confuse me. System Preferences is refered to for the MAC OS settings, which have nothing to do with the AJA Control Panel, AJA Kona Control Panel, or FCP. When you open the AJA Control Panel, the input tab selects between AES/EBU and embedded SDI audio - not analog audio. In FCP, even if you had an old AJA I/O or Kona LH (which both have anlaog inputs), the selection is done in EASY SETUPS, or Audio/Video settings, not System Preferences. When you say "System Preferences" - are you refering to the SOUND control panel ? You don't make your selections here.

Either way, you ain't getting a MIC into ANY AJA product (or blackamgic, or MOTU, or Matrox) - you need to boost up the level with a pre amp or mixer, and for your Kona 2, you need to convert this to AES/EBU.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Ramsbottom
Re: Kona 2 Audio Hang
on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:43:35 am

>>> Thanks Bob

> Using a Kona 2 in a Dual 2.7ghz PowerMac G5. 10.4.11, 8GB last Kona drivers. Yea, I know I'm not exactly on the cutting edge here ;)

>> REPLY - I am so old and senile, I don't even remember what a Kona2 is - it's the Kona 3, but for PCI-X (the old MAC G5), right ?

>>> Correct.

> Can't seem to get the audio inputs working. Have a reliable mic plugged into the first XLR of the BOB, the Kona control panel settings are at default. When I open audio system preferences, audio input is set with the Kona as a default input device but no audio input is being detected on the System Preferences level meter.

>> REPLY - OK, Mr. Altzhemimers responding here. The Kona 2 is a HD-SDI or SD-SDI input only. Those XLR's are AES/EBU digital audio only, NOT analog audio inputs. And even if they were analog audio inputs (which they are not - only the Kona LH series has analog XLR audio inputs), you CANNOT plug a low level microphone into a line level input - even if it is an analog input. A Mic is a -60dB signal at least - you need a PREAMP (like a mixer) to boost up the level. Even if you have a mixer or preamp to boost up your mic signal to line level (+4dBu), you aint' getting this singal into a digital AES/EBU XLR input - you need to convert your analog signal to AES/EBU. There are tons of mic preamps that are sold today with AES/EBU outputs on them.

>>> That's it. Forgive my ignorance, which is clearly extensive.

> Anyone have any thoughts. I'm a novice at using the Kona card and I expect there might be a couple of 'wiring' steps in the Kona control panel that I should be doing before then heading into System Preferences (if at all).

>> REPLY - these last few paragraphs confuse me. System Preferences is refered to for the MAC OS settings, which have nothing to do with the AJA Control Panel, AJA Kona Control Panel, or FCP. When you open the AJA Control Panel, the input tab selects between AES/EBU and embedded SDI audio - not analog audio. In FCP, even if you had an old AJA I/O or Kona LH (which both have anlaog inputs), the selection is done in EASY SETUPS, or Audio/Video settings, not System Preferences. When you say "System Preferences" - are you refering to the SOUND control panel ? You don't make your selections here.

>>> Yes, when I say *Kona* control panel, I mean just that. When I say System preferences, I do indeed mean the sound portion of the Mac OS X control panel.

>> Either way, you ain't getting a MIC into ANY AJA product (or blackamgic, or MOTU, or Matrox) - you need to boost up the level with a pre amp or mixer, and for your Kona 2, you need to convert this to AES/EBU.

>>> Understood, and thanks for the patient response. However, I am still getting a hang on my system, even with no input sources plugged-in at all. This happens when I change my audio I/O setting in the Mac OS X System Preferences audio control panel, or in FCP's Audio//video settings. If I select the Kona, the system hangs, badly.

>>> My rather colloquially-phrased question about needing to do any 'wiring' in the *Kona* control panel application first was probing whether there are any settings that must be changed here in a 'normal' set-up. For example, I have no idea what 'Lock audio gain to Unity means' and if it should be checked or not.

>>> Perhaps more telling, I just checked the 'Info' panel in the Kona control panel and I see I have an error, saying the card is running in PCI mode and that only PCI-X cards should be installed in that bus. Everything I read, including material from AJA suggested that my Fibre card should go in the very uppermost slot (the 133mhz) and the Kona card should go in the next one down (working toward the GPU of course).

>>> Perhaps this might be the culprit, I'd love to hear some further feedback - thanks all.

Return to posts index

Paul Ramsbottom
Re: Kona 2 Audio Hang FIXED
on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:49:12 am

>>> Perhaps more telling, I just checked the 'Info' panel in the Kona control panel and I see I have an error, saying the card is running in PCI mode and that only PCI-X cards should be installed in that bus. Everything I read, including material from AJA suggested that my Fibre card should go in the very uppermost slot (the 133mhz) and the Kona card should go in the next one down (working toward the GPU of course)

>>>> Yep, this was it. Found the answer in another post from the inestimable Mr Zelin. Two years ago no less.

Arcane as this may seem, in this set-up, you must leave slot #2 unused (I had a 4 port USB card in there). Upon removal and restart, all is well and I can now switch between audio sources to my heart's content.

Thanks Bob, senility aside, you live up to your reputation :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]