FORUMS: list search recent posts

Down conversion gone wrong? REVISITED

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Carswell
Down conversion gone wrong? REVISITED
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:46:19 pm

A couple of weeks ago I posted about an issue I am having with delivering down converted commercials to local TV stations. I shot 720p- edited 720p and than down converted through my Kona 3 card via SDI to a DVCPRO deck to create the SD versions required locally. When the spots air they are reduced in size beyond what you would expect...as if there is a double instance of letter boxing plus pillar boxing. On my SD monitor in my studio the spots play perfectly on my DVCPRO deck. They also appear as expected on my HD monitor with the proper sized pillar boxing and letter boxing. This is not what's showing up on air.

I went to the TV stations to see the spots played in person. And sure enough the image is reduced in size with the unusual pillar boxing and letter boxing.

Should I have down converted using anamorphic in my Kona 3 card? Is there a setting in the DVCPRO deck I should have set differently?

This has become incredibly frustrating because this is airing incorrectly at at least two local stations yet plays fine through my system.

I know a number of you have pitched in on this topic...but I still can't seem to find a solution. So, any help is appreciated.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Down conversion gone wrong? REVISITED
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:32:53 pm

I am afraid to ask this question, but do you have a nice, boring old TV monitor (NTSC 4:3 CRT monitor) at your place, so you can see what this looks like coming out of your DVCPro VTR ? Your 16:9 monitors are confusing you. Go to WalMart, get a crappy old TV (or ask Grandma to borrow hers), and take a look at what you are actually doing, and coming out of your Kona 3 or DVCPro VTR. I think your 16:9 monitor is confusing you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:38:56 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the follow up. In addition to monitoring the output from the DVCPRO deck on the Panasonic HD monitor...I'm also watching a direct feed from the deck to a JVC 4:3 monitor. There's nothing interrupting the signal to the SD monitor. No computer...no Kona card. Just a straight shot to the monitor via BNC. And everything still looks good and with the proper perspective. Letter boxing on the top and bottom and no pillar boxes.

But on the air that's not the case.

Any ideas?

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:57:56 pm

Obviously the file names or "metadata" next to your video is flagging converters into resizing at the stations. Go there with a good night`s sleep and wait and see what trips things in line, including other people`s programs.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2009 at 1:38:32 am

you need to contact the station. I just worked with a company that does medical press releases, and the stations requirements demand 16:9 STANDARD DEF delivery. Who knows what they are doing to your spot.

Many people on these forums commonly ask "what is the broadcast standard". I know the answer - THERE IS NO BROADCAST STANDARD. Every station has different delivery requirements, and if you don't follow their standards (and they don't reject your tape), then who knows what mess they will turn your tape into. This forum will not answer your question. You must contact the engineering department at the station. If you are looking at your show on a JVC 4:3 monitor, and it looks fine, THEY are screwing it up (and will blame you because you are not following their delivery requirements).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]