I'm attempting to capture HDCam footage using the HDW-1800 deck at 1080i. I am not having much luck capturing through the Aja Kona Lhe equipment. I am able to control the deck with the RSS 422 cable but I do not see a preview in the Final Cut Pro capture window. I see timecode in the upper right timecode window but when I attempt to capture the video, I am unable to because there is no video coming into the system.
My deck says 1080 59.94 and I see video in the window (which confuses me since it was shot at 24/23.98). I am piping HD-SDI signals out of the top HD-SDI output into my Kona Lhe's SDI input on the breakout box. I am not seeing any video. I am continually changing my capture settings to try to get anything but with no luck. Can anybody help me out here? Thanks
1) close FCP.
2) put your 1800 into your HD monitor (do you have one ?)- make sure you can see a picture.
3) put your 1800 HD-SDI output into your Kona SDI input
4) open up AJA Control Panel
5) click on format tab, choose 1080i
6) click on input tab, choose SDI input
7) hook up your TV to the Kona SDI output
8) click on CONTROL tab, put it on test pattern - do you see bars on your HD TV ?
9) put control tab on input passthru, play your VTR - do you see a picture? I bet you do.
10) - no HD TV Monitor? Use AJA VTR XChange, to see the image on your computer screen.
11) as for 23.98 and 59.94, your 1800 has the 2:3 pulldown option. You MUST learn the menus of your 1800, and learn how to enable and disable this, if you want to work at either frame rate.
12) you do have a black generator, like an AJA GEN10 - don't you ?
Thanks Bob. The initial problem was the cable. I had not inserted the cable properly into the Kona. Stupid. Secondary problem was the frame rate in the menu. Thanks for kicking my butt on that one. Thirdly, some of our captures (now that we have it working) are slipping sync by about 20 frames at the end of a 50 minute tape. Then when I try to play back the clip in Final Cut Pro, Final Cut does not see the clip. I have been capturing whole tapes as a single clip and letting Final Cut tell me the clip has stopped but has captured successfully. The clip has information in the finder and plays back correctly in the finder, in quicktime and in mpeg streamclip (just to check), but Final Cut Pro (6.0.6) does not play the clip. It does not see any information in the clip even though all the other applications say there is information there. How can I fix this without recapturing the 20 hours of tape I just captured. Any suggestions?