FORUMS: list search recent posts

VTR Exchange Crash and file restoration

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Crane
VTR Exchange Crash and file restoration
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:18:45 pm

During a live record VTR Exchange crashed about 2 hours into the recording and was wondering if there is a way to open up the Quicktime file. Currently when trying to open the file in QT, it says there is an error trying to open the file, I imagine it's because VTR Exchange wasn't able to finalize the file before stopping it. It looks like the whole file is there due to it's size, just wondering if there's a program that will fix this? It's was recording ISO footage so the master is all good but would like to try and salvage the file if possible.

Devin Crane
FLC Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: VTR Exchange Crash and file restoration
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:38:35 pm

See this post for a solution to a similar problem:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/269/260

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Nov 17, 2009 at 12:37:29 am

Sorry not seeing how the 2 are similar. I've got a file that was not properly closed in VTR Exchange due to it crashing and trying to restore it since QT won't open even though all the Gigabytes are there from the recording.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:37:14 am

[Devin Crane] "orry not seeing how the 2 are similar. I've got a file that was not properly closed in VTR Exchange due to it crashing and trying to restore it since QT won't open even though all the Gigabytes are there from the recording. "

its how to recover a broken QT file.

it is not possible to open a generic QT file while it is still being captured. Apps like Picture Ready are designed to allow for editing of content that is still being recorded " with caveats". but as a standalone in QT player you screwed yourself.

JG's link eluded to a company that can allow you to recover a good majority of the file. That is the similarity.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:12:25 am

I'm sorry but I'm either that thick in the head or I'm missing something in the link because it's sending me to someone who's posting about the KI pro and media manager and there's no company or anything else, the last response on the thread was from JG asking "How exactly are you using the media manager? What process?". No company or solution is mentioned.

Thanks for the help
DC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:42:05 am

Woops, bad copy and paste. Try this:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/269/254#254

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:47:20 pm