FORUMS: list search recent posts

pre-purchase question....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott robinson
pre-purchase question....
on Nov 15, 2009 at 12:53:27 am

Hi All

Wondering if I could ask about the Kona3 and its ability to convert captured files that are in various formats into on single aspect and format?

I have clips from different 16:9 aspects with square pixels that I would like to letterbox into a 720X480, non-square pixel aspect. Could I make the Kona work for me in a situation like that?

any suggestions would be helpful!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: pre-purchase question....
on Nov 15, 2009 at 1:55:34 am

Absolutely. That's one of the things that the Kona 3 does well. It will down convert 1080 or 720 to letterbox SD, and it will cross convert anamorphic SD to letterbox.

The caveat is that it has to come into the Kona over SDI.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:33:24 am

What it and all other capture cards won't do is capture differing frame rates...unless they are similar Hz. 59.94 and 29.97...similar. But you can't capture 29.97 as 23.98 nor 25fps as 29.97. But you can convert any FORMAT to a uniform one.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:04:42 pm

[scott robinson] "Wondering if I could ask about the Kona3 and its ability to convert captured files that are in various formats into on single aspect and format?"

Meaning your files are sitting on a hard drive or your need to capture from tape to a file?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

scott robinson
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:03:10 am

Yes the files are all on a hard drive going to another hard drive through a Kona 3 or FS-1. Do I need to down step through plain old division? I am concerned since I have been told this one-step solution of putting through hardware will be a dirtier method...(more artifacts and potential issues)?

Anyone done this before?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:04:13 pm

You can pass video from one Kona to the next, but you can't rakes existing files and convert them with the Kona on one computer.

All your files need to be standard video editing codecs, in HD and sd. You can't play out web deliverable codecs.

Uncompressed, dv, dv50, dv100, ProRes, photo jpeg, avc-intra, hdv, xd cam, imx50, are a few examples of what will work.

Wmv, H264 and Soreson3 are examples
of formats that won't.

Hope it helps.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]