FORUMS: list search recent posts

Device control setting for capturing DVC PRO HD footage shot 1080 24pA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Troyansky
Device control setting for capturing DVC PRO HD footage shot 1080 24pA
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:22:22 pm

Hello all,

I have a question regarding capture setting. We recently installed a AJA Kona LHi card, Prior to this i was just capturing through a firewire from our Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck. So now I have the card installed and I want to actually capture through the card. In the Log and Capture window under the capture setting tab i have my capture/input set to the proper codec- DVCPRO HD- 1080pA24. What should i be setting the Device control setting as? I have a few options like:

AJA Kona LHi: 50 Panasonic VTR
AJA Kona LHi: 59.94 Panasonic VTR
AJA Kona LHi: 59.94 VFR Panasonic VTR A

I just want to make sure that everything remains consistent, Like:

Data rate: 11.7 mb/sec
Vid Rate: 23.98

I did a quick search and didn't really find anything regarding setting, this is my first time working with the card and I already have 50+ hours captured via firewire, and have maybe another 20 or so to capture so I'd like to utilize the card. Thanks for any help.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Device control setting for capturing DVC PRO HD footage shot 1080 24pA
on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:34:03 pm

Unfortunately, you have to use fw to capture 24pA. The ancillary data is not available over Hdsdi.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:05:18 am

Although, I just remembered that you can put the deck in 23/24 mode and the deck will remove the pulldown and output 23.98 psf over HDSDI. Sorry I forgot about that little detail earlier.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:19:00 pm

And to complete my trifecta of forgetfulness, there's 1080 VFR support in the v6 and greater Kona drivers. you will have to install these easy setups from the installer if you didn't in the initial pass. Just run the driver installer again, and deselect the driver, and select the 720/1080 VFR DVCPro HD easy setups.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:25:51 pm

We didn't used to have this facility, right?
I can recall a project from a couple of years ago that was shot 1080i60 (DVCProHD). The only way to pull it in was over 29.97 and then Reverse Telecine to get it back to 23.98, which the camera people all swore they were shooting. Well, yes, but at that point only 720P60 would flag the redundant fields for real-time ingest in the base frame rate, so we were at the mercy of the famously balky Panasonic FRC.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:28:24 pm

If the camera supports the flags, it will do it. Not sure if it will work with just plain ole 24p, but 24pA should work due to the cadence difference.

This started with the v6 drivers.

Regardless, if it was 24p or 24pA, you can set the deck in 23/24 mode and the deck will remove either the standard or advanced pulldown and output 23.98 psf over HD-SDI.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 7, 2009 at 2:36:23 pm

[Joseph Owens] "We didn't used to have this facility, right?
I can recall a project from a couple of years ago that was shot 1080i60 (DVCProHD)"

it has only been enabled for a little over a year in software.

A couple of years ago the camera companies did not think to add this type of info into the data stream for the card to see the info the camera companies have to use the technology so it can be seen.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Matthew Troyansky
on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:33:24 pm

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. Sorry for the late response, it's been busy. I'm going to give it a shot next capture, got the card might as well use it right.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]