FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor setup

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Olson
Monitor setup
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:23:44 pm

Hi Guys,

First off, thanks for all of the recommendations on the Flanders Scientific broadcast monitors. I just picked mine up and it looks great. Here is my question:

I have two Apple monitors for the editor, the Flanders Scientific for grading/accurate HD monitoring. Now, my company wants to get a large flatscreen for client viewings. I know that it won't be color accurate, but it is only for the client's viewing and convenience (It should also, at the end of the day, look good and crisp). I have a couple of options: a Sony, a Samsung and a Sharpe. All are traditional HDMI.

I am running a Kona 3 card in my Mac Pro system now. Does it make sense to get the Black Magic HDMI card as well, or should I run an HDMI to DVI cable from the TV to the system.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Loving the Cow.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Monitor setup
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:13:35 pm

Panasonic Pro Plasmas are what we run here. We can calibrate them so close to the FSI that when the client watches the final rundown on those for the most part.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/plasmas.asp

We have three suites with them now and we'll have 5 more suites shortly and all will be outfitted with the same Pannys. We have the regular 720p panels in our room as I don't need the 1080p except that one will be in our new color client theater.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:05:57 am

when you go to the NAB show, all you see is Panasonic plasma displays at EVERYONE's booth - AJA, Blackmagic, AVID - (everyone but Sony) - and even Apple had Panasonic plasma displays at their booth when they went to NAB.

Want a really cheap, great Plasma display -
Panasonic TH42PD12UK. $839 street price 42"

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Nov 5, 2009 at 2:11:02 am

Bob, I'm a friend of Jeremy Garchow. Our companies work together in Chicago. Our facility has both Panasonic (BT-LH1700W) and TV Logic monitors because it seems that the TV Logic ones are the only ones doing HD closed captioning support which we need. Yes, it sucks working with CC. Sony's monitors suck. Flanders doesn't want to touch CC right now. I don't blame them.
What are your thoughts on TV Logic as a whole and what Panasonic's best LCD is opposed to plasma for "consumer grade" client viewing, big or small in size.
By the way, we're not using them for color grading, we don't do that.

chad
http://www.televersions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:31:23 am

I only used Panasonic LCD monitors until I saw the Flanders monitors. I don't deal with close captioning, so I am not qualified to answer this question. I have no idea of what happens with Panasonic BT-LH series monitors and close captioning.

Close captioning aside, I am not a fan of the new Panasonic BT-LH2550. It has much worse "off angle" viewing than even the older BT-LH2600 and the idea of forcing the editor and client to view at the "sweet spot" is just rediculous.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Nov 5, 2009 at 5:16:33 am

Will I be able to view full HD on a 720 p monitor? Also, what would be the best way to hook that Panasonic to the Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:18:07 pm

[Tristan Olson] "Also, what would be the best way to hook that Panasonic to the Mac Pro?"

You can use the analog outs of your Kona for free.

You can use an AJA HDSDI to HDMI adapter for money.

You can use an AJA HDSDI to analog component adaptor for money.

You can buy the HDSDI card for the monitor for money.

You cannot put a blackmagic HDMI card in the same computer as the Kona, it just won't work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:25:50 pm

Thanks! for the input Bob.
If you're ever in Chicago, look us up. Our chief engineer here might as well be your twin brother you never knew about - old school, but with that new school know how. We take no prisoners here.

chad
http://www.televersions.com

Return to posts index

Uli Kunkel
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:18:00 pm

Hi Walter. We recently installed a Sony plasma for client viewing in our edit suite and have it hooked up via analogue component cables coming out of our Kona breakout box. We went with that connection because that's the way our previous CRT monitor was hooked up. However, the CRT was receiving a down-converted signal to 525i whereas the new LCD is receiving a down-converted 720p signal.

We are now seeing about a 1 frame lag on playback on the client monitor. It's not perfectly in sync with the viewer window in FCP on the computer. We never had this problem with our CRT at 525i. Can you think of a reason for this and what we might do to solve the problem?

Playback delay in FCP is set to 0.

Thanks for your help.

Uli

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37:28 pm

I've never used a Sony plasma display. Our Panasonics are 720 native and I leave the offset set to 0 when we're using 720p material. With 1080i I switch it to a 2 frame offset.

There is processing involved with the display when you're not using the native display resolution. Why are you cross-converting to 720p just for the plasma screen? When I edit in 1080 I send that to the screen, when I edit in 720, I send that to the screen. No reason to convert that I can see.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Uli Kunkel
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:41:38 pm

The reason for the conversion is because we edit a lot of Red Footage at 2K. So it's being converted from 2k to 720. The Sony LCD cannot display 1080p over a component connection, only HDMI, so 720 was the next best option.

I"m wondering if I would get better results converting my component to HDMI or monitoring from my HDSDI output converted to HDMI.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:43:59 pm

[Uli Kunkel] "The Sony LCD cannot display 1080p over a component connection"

So set your output to psf.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2010 at 5:51:41 pm

[Uli Kunkel] "I"m wondering if I would get better results converting my component to HDMI or monitoring from my HDSDI output converted to HDMI."

No matter how you do it, you're going to have an offset of at least 1 when you make any sort of conversion that is not native to the plasma display. This is normal for almost all plasma and LCD displays.

We run an offset of 2 for all our FSI monitors because there is a processing lag that is inherrant in the electronics that was not necessary with the old CRT monitors.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]